Wire gauges used in popular pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire gauges used in popular pickups?

I've been reading a lot about pickup construction online (Seymour's Q&A section rocks!) but one thing I haven't seen yet is the wire gauges used in popular modern pickups (both Duncan and others). I know 42 is the most widely used gauge, but I assume you can't get a humbucker coil at 9k resistance with that (one coil of a DiMarzio Steve's Special is actually 12K)! So I started wondering "what pickups used which gauge".

Is this confidential info, or do they all pretty much use 42AWG?

Re: Wire gauges used in popular pickups?

Interesting question, Jester. We generally don't publish the wire gauge of our pickups. Though, it's not rocket science to unwind a few strands and measure the wire diameter with a calipers. But, at this point at least, that's what you or someone else will have to do to get our wire gauge.

Our pickups are the most copied after market pickups out there. And we want to make our competition work for it. ;-)

But you're right that 42AWG is the most common gauge.

Thanks for the question.

- Evan
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I hope I wasn't out of bounds, but the Gibson & Fender was available and I wasn't sure how secret this stuff is. You guys make some nice stuff; I have a JB and a Stag Mag, and they're quality goods.

Plus, you guys haven't made any aggressive legal ploys (like some pickup makers) that cause people like me to swear off buying your goods ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jester700
        Plus, you guys haven't made any aggressive legal ploys (like some pickup makers) that cause people like me to swear off buying your goods ;-)
        Not only that, but it never ceases to amaze me how SD doesn't seem to mind if you talk about, and even recommend the competitors products - right in their own forum. In todays posts alone, there's recommendations for p'ups from DiMarzio, Lindy Fralin, Bill Lawrence, Joe Bardin, and others that I can't remember. And thats just today!

There's no stronger statement a company can make about the confidence they have in the quality of their product. Its one of the things that keeps me a loyal Duncan customer.

I was contemplating getting a Bill Lawrence 500XL for a short time, but I was so put off by some of the nonsense that pervades both his website and his forum, that I nixed that idea. I wonder if they even know the degree to which they alienate customers by the spirit of their website and forum.

Comment

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/index_e.htm then humbuckers calculated turns (1 and 2).

L
          Last edited by Lightning; 09-16-2004, 12:04 AM.
          Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Working...
          X