Strat Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Wiring

Replacing the factory Strat Humbucker with an SH-5. Do I solder the Seymour Duncan red and white wires to the same terminal on the 5 way switch like the stock one? I don't know what the terminal on the 5 way does.

Re: Strat Wiring

If you want to run the SH-5 in normal series operation with no splits, solder the red and white wires together and tape them off. Solder the shield and black wire to ground (back of pot) and solder the green to the 5 way switch. This is assuming you have the stock fender single coils in the neck and middle positions.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Just giving myself a bump. I figured someone would know why the red and white wires that are to be joined together attach to the switch on a fender strat.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtiley
        Just giving myself a bump. I figured someone would know why the red and white wires that are to be joined together attach to the switch on a fender strat.
        Fender wires it that way so when the switch is in position 2, it will split the humbucker and put in in parallel with the middle pickup.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
        Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
        Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
        Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Thanks S_R - That makes sense, I'll hook up the new one the same way and see how it sounds.

Comment

Working...
          X