Guys I love Seymour duncan pickups,

but do any of you guys tried another Brand/Model of pickups much better

sounding than the Seymours Duncans you have tried,

Any pickups (Brand/Model) other than Seymour Duncan you have Tried or

Owned in your own Setup and Guitar that you find expectional, and worth

mentioning,

Thanks for the replies,

Re: Any pickups better for you than Seymour Duncans, if any

I know Seymour's a Tele guy, but the alnico V Paul Bunyan for Tele set that Zhang wound for me stands head and shoulders above all the tele pickups I've tried (including the JD, STL-2T, and Tele Vintage Stack).
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I really like the Wilde USA L500XL. Very clear pickup... a bit bright for some but great in the right axe.

I also dig the Gibson 500T and the Gibson 498T as well as the matching neck buckers for both...

Lastly I am in a conundrum with my Suhr Aldrich bridge bucker... really like it... but it is a little focused compared to what I am used to, however after listening back to our gig it really cuts and is smooth!
      Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Nice info guys,

Comment

EMG SA set
          Dimarzio Area Ts

and I am fond of the DMZ Air Zone and EJ Customs

I gots me lots of SD pups!

Comment

I've got an 84 335 with Shaws that I really dig.

Like Benjy I had the Paul Bunyan bridge and it was a GREAT pup more vintage than a Duncan QP but still pretty heavy duty wind. However David wound me up a vintage style Tele pup that just REALLY smokes!

I have a 79 Dmz X2N that I preferred to an Invader or Custom.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Squire OEM pickups.

Comment

I think the 498T does the C5 thing better than the C5.

Comment

I like the c5 .....

but

I think I will try a used 498T,

thanks
                  Last edited by bryan the rocker; 02-24-2009, 10:56 PM.

Comment

dimarzio virtual paf. bridge model took some modifications to get a great sound, but the neck model is hands down the best pickup i've used.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

the gibson 490 set. kinda awful with just the stock a2 set, but a5/a8 is way badass in there
                      Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                      ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

I played an Aria semi-acoustic a while back that someone had fitted Harmonic Design Z-90's to. I had played a similar Aria previously with Seymour Duncan P-90 soap-bar style pups. Same amp/speaker/room.

Now - we are not comparing like-for-like, and the guitars, though similar models, may have had different strings, pots or whatever..... but the Harmonic Design pups did seem to be very much bigger sounding, big wide, open and singing individual strings. I was impressed with the sound, where the SD fitted one had just been "a nice guitar" the HD fitted one made me want to take it home with me badly.

So I have been sounding out the Epi forum regarding the Z-90's in my Sheraton - prices are similar (SD $75, HD $100) and the HD can have a tortie cover which could look cool with the tortie pick-guard. But was my memory playing tricks, are they a lot better sounding. Do we obsess too much with the sound. I don't know. I replaced the stocks with SD 59's and thought the difference was wonderful - should I just stop there.....

Better than - probably not; different to - quite probably yes.
                        String driven things and thermionics.....
                        humble offerings for your amusement YouTube and SoundCloud

Comment

For humbuckers I love PRS. They sound raw, and angry, without having loads of output.

Myspace

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                            Squire OEM pickups.
                            Guitars:
                            2017 Epiphone dot
                            2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
                            2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
                            (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

For me it would have to be the EBS-2 from Smits Handwound Guitar Pickups. It actually sounds even better that the EVH 78 in my Northern Ash Strat!

Comment

Working...
                              X