Gibson LP pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson LP pups

Just bought a LP Studio that has 490R neck & 498T bridge pups.

I'm a HUGE Seymour Duncan tone fan & have installed Duncans in all my other guitars with great results, but I don't want to touch my LP. I think the Gibson pups sound great in it & I don't want to mess with it. Plus, I want to keep everything original in that guitar.

I do feel a bit guilty for not getting Duncans for it, but still, I'm going to leave it as is. Am I a traitor?
    Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Re: Gibson LP pups

Of course not! Use after market pickups only on guitars that need a tonal improvement. Why fix what ain't broken?? I love the Burstbucker Pros in my LP Standard. They sound as good as any Duncans I've had.

Comment

I think 490R is not a bad pickup, at least mine from 95 LP standard measuring 8.00K is quite a good pickup. I cannot say the same thing for my 14.00K 498T. It is not the worst but there are cheaper and better Duncan's around, like c5.

Use your guitar for a while, digest its tone. Then if you are not completely satisfied with it, come back and tell us what you don't like.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I like the stock neck pickups of the studio too. The bridge though sounds compressed and enclosed, too 80's... maybe it's just my ears?

Comment

Only 2 of my guitars have the stock pickups. One is my 2000 flametop McCarty.
          The sound of those pickups is as Ted McCarty intended, so I left them in, and they sound great. The other guitar is my California Custom Schecter Tele. It came with stacked singles resembling Anderson or Quarter Pound Teles. They split using a pullup tonepot. I can get Hellecasters to AC/DC out of that tele, so I'm not pulling them out, and chancing something lesser. I did repot them, tho.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I've changed the pickups, pots and caps in my '96 LP Standard and I love the way it sounds now. But I played it for three years stock before that, so it can't have been that bad.

Just enjoy playing it. You'll know if and when you want to change anything.

Comment

You could be like me. I keep my stock pups in a drawer in case I ever want to sell, or just put them back in. I thought the 500T in my Classic sounded friggin' hot, and I toy with the idea of putting it back in if I decide to use that guitar for hard-rockin' again.
              Originally posted by Scott_F
              On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

But the 500t is so fuzzy.... perfect for husker du though.

Comment

After adjusting them lower, I really like the 490R and 498T in both my LP Studio and my ES137 Classic. Although I won't claim that they'll stay forever, I'm certainly in no hurry to swap 'em. Can't say the same for my newest Tele.

Comment

Working...
                  X