Pickup recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendations?

I've been considering swapping out the stock pickups in my Ibanez Artcore semi-hollow, and until now had been debating between a set of Seth Lovers or DiMarzio Virtual PAFs (vintage vs. modern).

A few choices have now been brought to my attention, a JB/59 set, or a pair of 59s.

I'm looking to retain the great clean I get from this axe, but I'd like the overdriven sound to speak and growl pretty well. How it performs under heavier distortion doesn't really matter too much, as I have other axes that handle that type of thing better.

Thanks!
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Re: Pickup recommendations?

One note I forgot about, the JB with the Alnico II mod was what had been recommended to me.

Comment

Depends on the amount of definition, bass, mids and highs you want. I'd say give a closer look at 59b's and PGb's. They are different, mainly because of the A2 vs A5 mag in them. While they have about the same level of highs, PG is softer but has more uppermids. The result would be an a2 PAF clone which can scream very well. 59b on the other hand is great, it delivers them Zeppelin, ACDC tones that easily. But be advised that it is not as soft as the pg.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Well, I want to keep as much clarity as I can. The Artcore seems to be pretty balanced tonally, although it is an all maple body w/ set maple neck & rosewood board. I'd like to keep it pretty even, with any emphasis going to the mids/upper mids to help cut through the mix.

Comment

Then get a 59b and an alnico 2 bar. Try the 59b, and if you don't like it (you could exchange it for a PG + cash of course) swap the a5 magnet of the 59b with an a2. (You can get magnets from Steve K at www.ampge.com .)

B

Comment

Also, what's the difference between a 59/PG and 59b/PGb? I'm just not familiar with what the "b" designates.

Comment

b for the bridge!

B (<---- this one is for barlo )

Comment

Ah, but of course. I was really hoping it wouldn't be something that simple, now I feel like an arse . Thanks.

What would be some good neck companions? If I switch out I'll likely do the pair.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                  Ah, but of course. I was really hoping it wouldn't be something that simple, now I feel like an arse . Thanks.

What would be some good neck companions? If I switch out I'll likely do the pair.

What kinda neck tone are you looking for? Important aspects are softness, clarity, amount of thumb and bass required, amount of pick attack you desire etc. you get the picture no?

B

Comment

Hmm....decisions decisions...I suppose out of the neck, I want a smoother sound (of course). Again, clarity is important, I want chords to be defined and a pick attack that's pretty responsive to dynamics (this might be handled more by the bridge, since it will likely have more bite).

I don't want it to be so bassy that it's boomy, but the neck spot will naturally have more bass than the bridge, so perhaps an emphasis more towards the mids would help even this out some.

Comment

I've not tried it personaly but alot of people are recomending the A2p for a smooth neck pickup.
                      Kramer Classic III - Trans Amber

and more projects than you can shake a spray gun at.

Comment

Cool, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                          Hmm....decisions decisions...I suppose out of the neck, I want a smoother sound (of course). Again, clarity is important, I want chords to be defined and a pick attack that's pretty responsive to dynamics (this might be handled more by the bridge, since it will likely have more bite).

I don't want it to be so bassy that it's boomy, but the neck spot will naturally have more bass than the bridge, so perhaps an emphasis more towards the mids would help even this out some.
                          I'd say stay away from a5 PAF neck clones. They would have more bass. So I'd say don't go for a 59n (n for neck).

It looks like you are describing something like PGn, Seth-n or Antiquity neck HB. (I think A2p-n is too round but there are others who disagree with me and love that pickup) Well the decision among those would be based on how much softness you need. Clearly ant neck hb is the softest, but does not lack clarity. The only thing is that with pick attack it won't bite, but bloom (whatever that means). It is an excellent pickup and sounds great. But if you wnat your attack to be a more punchy, go for a PG-n. For something in the middle Seth-n is the way to go.

BTW if you become a magnet swap junkie as I am, I definitely would recommend an a5 antiquity bridge and an a3 antiquity neck. That's the set I have in one of my pauls, and have not heard anything that can kill it, including really expensive boutique products like timbuckers, rolphs, voodoos.

B

Comment

What about Fralins, I've heard great thing about Lindy's products.

BTW, not saying they'd kill your setup, just wondering if that was another option to consider.

Comment

Never used Fralin buckers. Am sure that they are not bad, if not great. You should ask Lew about them, he should have the answers.

B

Comment

Working...
                              X