Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: very unhappy with the EMG 81/85 zakk set

Originally posted by Nate
    I've been satisfied with my 81/85 combo in my Rhoads, les paul, and Ibanez RG270B. There must be something wrong with your ears.
    nah i guess i just dont like the EMG's?
    i did switch them around and still not happy.

Comment

Have you been playing metal riffs through brutal distortion? I have the same set and they're great for that, and not quite as good for anything else. I like them though.

Comment

Originally posted by presa_tito
        Have you been playing metal riffs through brutal distortion? I have the same set and they're great for that, and not quite as good for anything else. I like them though.
        yeah i play metal 95% of the time. to me the EMG's seem to be about just power and not much else. i decided to just sell them

Comment

Yeah sell'em. Can anyone abbreviate Extremely Muddy Garbage? LOL
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

EMGs are about alot more than just output IMO. They have an unmatched clarity that works great for speed metal and the like. They do work well for heavy stuff in general I feel. Anyone that says they're muddy has obviously never tried them.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
              Anyone that says they're muddy has obviously never tried them.
              I agree. They added alot of clarity to my high gain sound. Even the neck 85 doesn't get muddy. It's way to bassy for clean work, but I'd never be able to describe it as muddy.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

EMGs are about alot more than just output IMO. They have an unmatched clarity that works great for speed metal and the like. They do work well for heavy stuff in general I feel. Anyone that says they're muddy has obviously never tried them.

hold on a minute! are you saying i bought a set and did not even try them? i said the 85 in the neck was muddy
                the 81 in the bridge is very trebly if anything without much low end.
                I switched them around and still no go for me.
                it is not a crime to not like these

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                  I agree. They added alot of clarity to my high gain sound. Even the neck 85 doesn't get muddy. It's way to bassy for clean work, but I'd never be able to describe it as muddy.
                  for me the 85 was undefined for sweeps,and any fast yngwie type ripping.
                  the jazz by duncan is much better for me

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                    hold on a minute! are you saying i bought a set and did not even try them? i said the 85 in the neck was muddy
                    the 81 in the bridge is very trebly if anything without much low end.
                    I switched them around and still no go for me.
                    it is not a crime to not like these

I can honestly see the neck being muddy with some setups...I'm actually not a fan of the 85 in the neck...but any other combination just can't be muddy IMO unless you're playing through a Gorilla. I was actually referring to Gearjonesers post.

Comment

I can honestly see the neck being muddy with some setups...I'm actually not a fan of the 85 in the neck...but any other combination just can't be muddy IMO unless you're playing through a Gorilla. I was actually referring to Gearjonesers post.
                      sorry my bad i was real stoked when i bought them cause of all the guys that use em(slayer,metallica,zakk,and all the others) but in my guitar and through my rig i got a shocker!
                      my tone was actually smaller overall and lost something the duncans had?
                      the guys that do love and use them not only seem happy with them but get a great tone from em?
                      like zakk wylde he has that great tone like he is using duncans?

Comment

Never cared for EMG's myself.
                        Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                        Roland Cube 60
                        Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                        BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                        LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                        Mogami Cables
                        Mooer Candy Toppers
                        Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                        Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I remember when I first started using EMG's, I wasn't all that impressed. It took me a while to get used to them, but once I did, holy crap...

Five years later, I'm still jamming on them. I'd jam on them with my 7 strings if they weren't made from bass pickups.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

i always go in and out of my EMGs, switching back and forth from a HR/Lil 59 strat heh

they have a lovely 'modern' sound, thats how i'd describe it. not muddy, not weedy. just solid, workmanlike 'nice' tone... which laughs off high gain

Comment

Working...
                            X