Rio Grande "Stelly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Grande "Stelly"

Anyone have this pup, I'm basically interested in the DC resistance, and a better description than rio grande's.
    Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
    JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
    Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
    Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
    Dunlop Classic Crybaby
    Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Re: Rio Grande "Stelly"

It's supposed to be their Muy Grande for Tele in a Strat package. The Muy Grande for Tele is pretty hot and kind of bright (in a good way). Sorry, don't know the DC resistance.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yeah, they could be more forthcoming about specs on their website. Oh well, keeps me from straying...

Comment

bump..............anyone else please, I still have not got a reply from RG when I emailed them friday.
        Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

You'll probably have to wait till Mon. to get an answer to your e-mail.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

benjy is right, probably no one there at the office or shop on the weekends. It seems a lot like a duncan qp but maybe not wound so hot, never played one but they are sold in one of the local shops here. I might be able to check it out in the next couple of days
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Please remember that tone is in the ear of the beholder, so don't take my experience as the bible.

I own a Music Man Albert Lee. I wanted a little bit fatter tone in the bridge position of the guitar, so I ended up ordering a whole Rio set (Stelly in bridge, Tallboys neck and middle). The Stelly was a really hot-sounding, fat, middy tele pickup. Hell, the thing is even constructed like a tele pickup. No cover, big bobbin, big pole pieces. That being said, those pickups stayed in the Lee for about a month before I put the stock Alnico 2 Pros back in. Although the Rios sounded good, all the bell-like clarity was gone, and they completely overtook the natural tone of the instrument.

Some people swear by Rios. I don't. I prefer lower output pickups that allow the guitar to be included in the tonal equation.

I'll probably be trying a Twangbanger next. Pretty close to the Alnico 2 Pro I already have at the bridge.

Comment

I had one, and I liked it alright.

Comment

It's monday and I just got a reply, it's wound to ~ 9.2k which is perfect as far as strength in general. I really don't dig their website idea of no specs and just animated descriptions, "classic tele tone, but a lot more of it, extra-gain without the pain" something like that. a lot more could be anything from like 8k-17k. I post my situation later, gotta work.
                  Dunlop Classic Crybaby

Comment

Working...
                  X