banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pickups are you 7 string guys using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups are you 7 string guys using?

List your guitars, pickups, styles of music you play, why you chose said pickups, and even a story about them if one exists.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Re: What pickups are you 7 string guys using?

Ibanez RG1527 loaded with a Custom/Jazz 7 set. I play stuff most simlar to progressive metal with a little bit of shred thrown in there.

I chose the pickups because I didn't have a Custom or Jazz in any of my other guitars, had heard good things about them and wanted to give them a shot. I have them split via 5 way switch and they give some nice clean tones. Sull out the Custom delivers some really good rhythm tones and the Jazz is very articulate and open even under high gain.

Gaing back, I think I might have picked the Distortion 7 for the bridge. The Custom just doesn't have the balls of the Distortion and harmonics are a little harder to produce as well. The Jazz is still a great pickup but depending on my mood I might think I would like a Distortion 7 in the neck as well. Give it the all out metal transfusion a guitar like that needs.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

See my sig... I've used this guitar for metal, hard rock, punk, emocore, hardcore, rock, blues.... just different EQ and gain settings to get different effects. My biggest complaint is that the treble can be brittle sounding. I've heard that the 59's lack mids though, so I'm not sure where to turn. A 7 string custom custom or custom 5 would probably be best.

Comment

Washburn WG587 with Seymour Duncan Custom (Bridge) and 59 (Neck). Also
        fitted a Fender 5 way switch and TBX tone control. Its sounds lovely!!!!!
        I play lots of styles, mainly heavy rock, but i also try to play in the style of, ie Vai, Satriani.
        Ibanez RG1570 Dimarzio PAF Joe, MoJoe and Fast track1, Aria PE DLX (stock)

Comment

i had one Ibanez k7 w/ Custom b and 59' n until i sold it a month ago, w 1 volume pot and floyd rose (w the U bar, but i never used it).

played progresive/death metal, mainly dream theater and morbid angel/at the gates, and i got great tones on both styles... the story ends when i sell it to go for a pro 6 string axe (i´m still trying to decide which axe will be the chosen one...conan music for that sentence ) f*** it was almost new!!

btw... in the name of god what is emocore??!!
          Peavey Studio Pro 112

LTD Explorer 400 w/ EMG 81 set
          Ibanez SZ 520 QM w/ Dimebucker + 59'
          Seagull S12+ acoustic

Boss Digital Delay DD-3, Super Chorus CH-1, Chromatic Tuner TU-2. Dunlop Mr. Crybaby

Comment

Emocore means jawbreaker, husker du, various others I'm not into as much. At it's heart it's just a word for another outcropping of 80's hardcore.

Comment

I've got a Squire stagemaster 7-string and a Schecter A7+. I wanted to try some active 7-string pickups out, and only the EMG 707s seemed to be available without going to the SD custom shop. Unfortunately, 707s aren't standard size, and I didn't want to route my Schecter unless I was sure.

Enter the Stagemaster; I scored this off ebay to experiment with. I routed it out and fitted some 707s.....now I play it more than the Schecter!

I like the 707s, very good pickups, the only drawback is the difficulty in going back to regular sized humbuckers if you change your mind.

I've decided now I want passive pickups in the Schecter - I'll either put in a Jazz neck/JB bridge set, or a Dimarzio Air Norton neck/Tone Zone bridge set, haven't decided what sound I'm looking for yet.

(The Schecter isn't totally passive though, it has an EMG SPC control in place of the tone pot )

Comment

I have a pair of Duncan Design Distortion knock-offs in my Schecter. And to be honest the bridge isn't too bad - it has clarity issues though. I think getting a real Duncan Distortion would solve that problem though. I might opt for something a little less hot or something with the output concentrated in a different tonal aspect. Maybe a JB, which I will be transferring into my Les Paul soon enough.

The DD in the neck isn't my cup of tea though it has fantastic split clean tones. It doesn't even seem that hot compared to the bridge, which flat out sizzles. It seems as if a lot of treble/uppermids were just sucked out, along with some output. I guess I'm looking for a more traditional tone out of the neck though - ie PAF. Maybe an Air Norton but likely a PAF 7 or Jazz.

Comment

this should be your avatar:

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

I've owned about a dozen seven strings over the years. Currently though I have two. One is a Custom BC Rich USA 'Wave' 7-string with DiMarzio Blaze Custom(B), Blaze (n). The other is a USA Washburn Sonic 7 with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge and '59 in the neck. I use it with Peavey and Laney tube amps through a Mesa 4x12 cab. I play heavy styles.

Comment

Say, how is the Blaze Custom in the bridge? How does it sound compared to your other 7 string guitar with the DD in the bridge?

And the Blaze neck, I don't think I've heard anyone mention it around here...

Comment

Working...
                      X