Gibson vol pot vs cts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson vol pot vs cts?

I have a gibson vol pot and wondered how much if any difference is there between the cts 500k pots and the gibson one labeled zo-44070034 I dont even know if the gibson one is a 500k but the guy I bought it from says it is.
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Re: Gibson vol pot vs cts?

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
    I have a gibson vol pot and wondered how much if any difference is there between the cts 500k pots and the gibson one labeled zo-44070034 I dont even know if the gibson one is a 500k but the guy I bought it from says it is.
    Could be 500k, could be 300k, whatever. A multimeter will tell you. If you took it to a Radio Shack or other electronics store, they'd probably tell you. Gibson pots, as far as I've ever known are not made by CTS, and generally people prefer the better quality of CTS pots. CTS supplies many distributors with pots. They are then packaged and sold by retailers. Allparts is probably the most common brand you'll see.

Comment

You can look up the pot code , several pot manufacturers are listed under the FAQ or Seymour's FAQ on the main site ... the first three digits are the manufacturer (All Parts doen't actually manufacture parts to my knowledge), 440 should be the manufacturer code. They may have expanded it to four, it used to be thre though. The rest is the date it was made, the number of the week and in what year.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

What year are the pots? I have a 2003 LP and the guitar sounds great but the pots do very little if anything when rolling off volume or tone. I would say to play it safe order some CTS pots. I find that the 300k volume audio taper pots work well in newer Gibsons. I find the 500ks too bright. You will still be heard with fine clarity even with the 300ks for the bridge.

You could also look into the RS kits. He has a treble tamer kit as well as a premium electronics upgrade kit.

Comment

Working...
        X