Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Slash

Hello,

I just heard about a custom shop AIIP that is made for slash. does anyone have any info on it or know what's different from the standard production?

Re: Custom Shop Slash

Are you on HC too? I'm ordering one soon and gonna compare it to the normal one and a 59. I've been wanting to checkout those three since my taste in tone has been moving towards Slash's live tone and so it was pretty cool to find out about these pickups

MJ
    EMB Audio Remote and Pedal Wahs: www.facebook.com/EMBaudio

Comment

yeah, i've got aph-1's in my lp right now but i was interested in excactly what was the difference. i guess i'll call SD tomorrow

Comment

What I know so far is that it's a single conductor and scatter wound...

MJ

Comment

what does scatter wound mean?

Comment

Wound by hand like the old/vintage pickups. It's supposed to produce a round, full tone without any harsh high end.

Comment

From what I understand they are also mounted on the same baseplate and use the same components from the Antiquity humbuckers. I would imagine that they are wax potted. I'm interested to find out more details as well, but initially they sound very intriguing.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by bognerboy
                what does scatter wound mean?
                From the Seymour Duncan glossary:

Scatter Winding - First, let's define some terms.
                "Machine Winding" - a machine spins the bobbin and moves back and forth at a regular pace, distributing the wire evenly across the bobbin.
                "Hand Winding" - a machine spins the bobbin, but the magnet wire goes through the hands of an operator who distributes the wire along the bobbin. This is how the earliest pickups were wound.
                "Scatter Winding" (Also called "Random Wrap") - a machine spins the bobbin, and the magnet wire goes through the hands of an operator (named Seymour) who distributes the wire along the bobbin in an intentional scattered or random pattern. All scatter wound pickups are hand wound. Not all hand wound pickups are scatter wound.
                Scatter Winding has a few effects on a pickup's tone.
                First of all, when you scatter wind a pickup, you’re not placing the wire as close to itself on each layer as you would with a machine. The effect is to create more air space in the coil. This lowers the distributed capacitance. The best way to think of distributed capacitance is like a little tone control in the pickup. When the capacitance is lowered, the result is that more treble will come through and the resonant peak of the pickup will increase slightly.
                Secondly, each scatter-wound pickup will sound slightly unique. You can scatter-wind ten pickups with the same wire and number of turns, but each will sound different.

Comment

Working...
                X