No announcement yet.

SH-5 compared to JB? Which is fatter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry, I wasn't implying it to be junk.....I just meant there was a big stink over the Stu Mac Bill Lawrence copies.

I also hear that the K resistance reading doesn't tell a whole lot with regards to output. For example....my Burstbucker Pros at 8K don't seem that much less in output than my C-5.

Anyway......I am not sure why so many do not like the BBQ. It is my favorite humbucker thus far. I just find it to be very deep, thick, rich, chunky, musical, and powerful. Nice pickup. I only find that I need a little more highs or less power for clean tones.

But, who knows because a few friends from other bands saw us play the other night and said my tone was great with the exception of my heavy rhythm being a little too dark.

I am hoping the Custom is my answer. I am bidding on one on ebay....but off course you have me wondering about the stuMac. What's it sound like next to the Custom?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
      sorry, I wasn't implying it to be junk.....I just meant there was a big stink over the Stu Mac Bill Lawrence copies.

I also hear that the K resistance reading doesn't tell a whole lot with regards to output. For example....my Burstbucker Pros at 8K don't seem that much less in output than my C-5.

Anyway......I am not sure why so many do not like the BBQ. It is my favorite humbucker thus far. I just find it to be very deep, thick, rich, chunky, musical, and powerful. Nice pickup. I only find that I need a little more highs or less power for clean tones.

But, who knows because a few friends from other bands saw us play the other night and said my tone was great with the exception of my heavy rhythm being a little too dark.

I am hoping the Custom is my answer. I am bidding on one on ebay....but off course you have me wondering about the stuMac. What's it sound like next to the Custom?
      hey no prob about the "junk" remark
      they are over wound P.A.F's using AGW 42 pe wire but have alnico 5 magnets not II's
      you are right the resistance is not the only factor in determining a pups tone or output.
      the wire gauge,magnet,resonant peak all play a part.
      as far as the BB pros being almost as hot as a C5,i have to tell you there may not be a huge audible difference to your ears BUT when putting them on a MV test there is a pretty big difference
      the BB pro is 230 MV and the C5 is 345MV
      is the world of high gain it is not as noticable but i figured i would tell you anyway
      the custom(370 MV) is a little less hot in output than a tone zone(375MV) and about the same as a JB(365MV)

Comment

One thing I have noticed is the astounding clarity of the C-5. I also like that Robert said the Custom seems warmert o his ears wit hthe greater mids. I hope I get that one off ebay.

Hey, know anything about the Dimarzio air Zone? that's another one I am trying to find on ebay.

For some reason Dimarzios are pretty cheap on ebay.

Comment

One thing I have noticed is the astounding clarity of the C-5. I also like that Robert said the Custom seems warmert o his ears wit hthe greater mids. I hope I get that one off ebay.

Hey, know anything about the Dimarzio air Zone? that's another one I am trying to find on ebay.

For some reason Dimarzios are pretty cheap on ebay.
          Bro when it comes to clarity the custom is KING!
          it has more clarity than the C5 or any other higher output duncan

Comment

Duncan says it's high output.....but most say it's medium. Hopefully it's not too bright through my Vetta.

Comment

Duncan says it's high output.....but most say it's medium. Hopefully it's not too bright through my Vetta.
              rich, i have to disagree with the high output thoery that duncan has

i would call the custom meduim-high,it is not like a invader or distortion model in output but has a strong powerful tone that cames off like it is HOT!

Comment

JB vs SH-5

I really can't speak to the SH-5, as I've never used it. I can say that in all likelihood the JB will be warmer if not fatter. The Cermaic magnet in the SH-5 will probably have more bite to it. I've got an alnico-2 magnet in my JB and it is very sweet sounding with plenty of output.

Jeff
                "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I am just going off the fact that many say the Custom is wamrmer than the JB and C-5. I've heard this from a few on the forum so I took a chance and am bidding on a custom on ebay.

Comment

dont believe hear say.. listen by yourself and judge by that

Comment

seymour duncan describes the custom and also the custom custom as high output.......i think,especially the CC, they fall more in the medium gain category

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
                        dont call the SH-5 custom fat........

it's the PAF on it's period!
                        she'll get pissed and you'll have to sleep on teh couch

Damn right!! It scorches! Overweight...

Comment

Before buying anything, why not try and reverse the two.
                          A CC bridge and JB neck may turn out to be more suitable to you
                          than the JB bridge and CC neck.

The Custom 5 or Custom is probably what you're looking for,
                          but the CC in the bridge pos. will definitely end your shrillness problem, because it's the darkest of all the Customs.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                          X