Custom Guitar....PICKUP HELP! PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Guitar....PICKUP HELP! PLEASE!

Hey guys, im new here, obviously. I am having a custom guitar build by a friend of mine, and i need some advice on pickups. I play anything. Metallica, Satriani, SRV, Hendrix, Beatles, Floyd. You name it, i play it. I need pickups that can do it all. Now, I believe the body will be mahagony, unless you guys have a suggestions (keep price in mind). I was thinking custom, custom in the bridge. Good choice? I have 2 more slots for singles, (this is the way i want the guitar, granted i am open to suggestions). Would you suggest ssl-1's, ssl-2's, or ssl-3's? All help is appreciated. Thank you guys so much!!
    Originally Posted by zippy
    It's about as stable as Charles Manson... if I breath on it, look at it, or picture it in my mind my guitar goes out of tune...

Re: Custom Guitar....PICKUP HELP! PLEASE!

welcome to the forum. so play a lot of the same stuff i do, and i too have a custom built guitar (warmoth double fat strat) but mine is ash. reguardless of the difference in woods, im gona recomend the JB in the bridge, which is what i have, as do many of the guys here. the JB can do it all for you, soft or harsh, clean or dirty. its great and im sure im not the only one with this suggestion. for the single coils, ull have to talk to other guys around here with more experience, i dont know much about those. anyways, good luck, hope this helps.
    my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
    fender dg20ce acoustic
    peavey blazer 15 watt
    line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
    Atomic Reactor 112
    Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

What Are You Looking For In The Middle And Neck Positions And What Gear Do You Use?
      "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

I running my guitar through limited effects, and a mesa single rectifier. I also use a fender amp. I kind of middle and neck pickups that will give me pink floyd, to metallica cleans, to SRV. Any more suggestions for bridge? Custom Custom or JB?
        It's about as stable as Charles Manson... if I breath on it, look at it, or picture it in my mind my guitar goes out of tune...

Comment

I was also thinking maybe an SH-5 in the bridge. How does that sound?

Comment

Originally posted by haiz69
            I was also thinking maybe an SH-5 in the bridge. How does that sound?
            +1! a sh-5 and custom flat in middle and neck will cover alot of ground. i do like a 59 with 2 a2p flats too for a more vintagey tone.
            the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Thanks! Any other suggestions?

Comment

up

Comment

that's a lot of ground, the most suitable thing for that knid of thing would be this (i really don't like it though to be honest) http://line6.com/variax/US/specs.asp
                  This would certainly cover the problem of beatles to satriani

However for a good clean fun time of changing pickups, you might want to consider having some fancy switching, (a super 5way switch and maybe some push/pull pots)
                  And to further add to your guitars tonal capabillities, having lil' buckers or tapped SC's in your single slots could offer even more tones.
                  Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
                  JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
                  Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
                  Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
                  Dunlop Classic Crybaby
                  Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

In the woods your describing, I'd personally go with a C5 at the bridge and a pair of APS's in the neck and mid.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Depends on how much you will use the bridge for more "classic" tones. SRV, Hendrix, a lot of that stuff is neck position. For a metallica style tone I would probably say a "custom" but for overall usefullness I would probably go C5. I love the Custom Custom (CC), but I don't know that in a mahog body you're going to get enough ooomph for the metallica stuff.
                      Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Working...
                      X