banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Pearly Gates in neck, Duncan Distortion bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Pearly Gates in neck, Duncan Distortion bridge?

I think I'm going to put the PG's in the neck and the Duncan Distortion or the Duncan Custom in the bridge of my Les Paul. Does anyone know if there will too much of a difference in sound(level, volume, tone, etc...) when switching between the two? Either that or a Jazz in the neck.

My thoughts are to have a crunch rhythm and smooth Billy Gibbons lead. Am I way off course? I will have my Les Paul switch changed as well so there is no combo(just neck and bridge). Please advise

Re: Thoughts on Pearly Gates in neck, Duncan Distortion bridge?

Here is a pic of my Paul

Comment

I had that (Custom) in my Epi LP Standard, but am now going to install an original PAF in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. I love the Custom pickup and may end up putting it back in the guitar. I just want to hear what the PAF sounds like first.
      The PGn was a little dark for my taste....I wanted to hear a brighter tone from that spot. I've had a set of Pearly's in that axe, and they sounded pretty good together but I opted for more output from the bridge and switched to the Custom. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get the sound I want out of the collection of pickups I have right now....it's just a matter of trying a few things out.
      Hey, in your Gibby, that PG might sound great in the neck of your guitar because of the different woods used for your Pauly than what was used for mine. Those Pearly's are a different breed of cat to tame sometimes. Give it a try!

....Bob

Comment

What do you mena by saying that the Pearlys are a different breed of cat? Could you be more specific?

Comment

ahhh! lp custom in silverburst! a jb and jazz is what adam jones of tool use in the exact same guitar. i feel that either a custom or jb will complement the pg in the neck. imo, the distortion is too aggressive.
          the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

The Distortion and a PGn will be just fine in that guitar. The Custom/PGn will also be very nice.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Adam Jones rhythm and Billy Gibbons lead…..nice. Surprised Adam jones uses the JB
              I listen to the JB on this site and it sounds good, just worried it won’t crunch enough for me. No guitar stores near me have these in their guitars so there is some risk involved here. Worried that I will buy, install it and then not like that

Comment

bump cause i need help

Comment

The JB has more than enough output to keep you happy and crunchin for years to come.
                  www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                  www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                    The JB has more than enough output to keep you happy and crunchin for years to come.

do you like the JB better than the Custom or Distortion?

Comment

my 0.02. i prefer the jb for lead but not rhythm. not enough balls for me. the distortion works well for rhythm. tight and chunky. lead tends to sound thin. not as full as i would like. the custom is a compromise. tight and chunky for rhythm and full enough to sound good for leads.
                      the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Originally posted by dani
                        my 0.02. i prefer the jb for lead but not rhythm. not enough balls for me. the distortion works well for rhythm. tight and chunky. lead tends to sound thin. not as full as i would like. the custom is a compromise. tight and chunky for rhythm and full enough to sound good for leads.

ok thats good to know. what sucks is you can't try these so I really need to hear what you guys think. Right now I leaning on Distortion bridge and PG's neck. But on this site I like the way the JB's sound. So good to know you don't think its tough enough. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X