banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolph pickups, how do they sound under higher gain situations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolph pickups, how do they sound under higher gain situations?

Ive asked about Rolph pickups before and by what everyone says they sound fantastic, but how exactly do they sound under more high gain situations...id imagine they would sound fantastic but just wanted to see if anyone had experience with them in such a situation.
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Rolph pickups, how do they sound under higher gain situations?

I'd vouch for them! As simple as that.

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
      I'd vouch for them! As simple as that.

B
      ooh a reply, cheers dr.

You dont have any clips do you by any chance?
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
        ooh a reply, cheers dr.

You dont have any clips do you by any chance?
        Unless there is a basic reference point (like the tone of a HB that you already know) I doubt the informative aspect of such clips. Yeah I have some recordings with my rolphs' 59's in my R7, but none of them are done for purposes of tone search.

B
        Last edited by dr.barlo; 09-24-2004, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
          Unless there is a basic reference point (like the tone of a HB that you already know) I doubt the informative aspect of such clips. Yeah I have some recordings with my rolphs' 59's in my R7, but none of them are done for purposes of tone search.

B
          Thats cool id still be very interested to hear them, although you're right unless i have a reference i probably wouldnt be able to get much out of them, but if they sound good then...well...they sound good

The guy at rolph wont give me much information over email about his pickups, so maybe you can tell me. Does he just make one kind of "rolph humbucker", the one on the site? Or are there many different ones (like from the different years) that he makes? I cant find any information about them and sofar am under the impression that he only produces one kind of humbucker pickup.
          My Soundclick page.

Comment

Forget the website, it was outdated two years ago!

He generally does not use email, but is great to talk to over the phone. He knows his ****, and is willing to share it with you. He does not do one kinda HB, basically what he does is a PAF clone but you name the year (57-59) and the month !!! What I am saying is that he talks to you asks what kinda tones you're seeking, and comes up with a pickup that is tailor-made for you. See?

B

Comment

awesome, no wonder his prices arent that low

I was trying not to talk to him over the phone cos i live in australia but maybe its worth it

Thanks barlow you've been a great help
              My Soundclick page.

Comment

So what year of PAF should i ask for if im looking for a hotter one of the bunch, nice and thick, i dont know about specific years
                My Soundclick page.

Comment

59 or 60. But remember that there were quite considerable variations in them PAFs. Some were quite hot, like 8.50 and all, and some where like 7.40 and less (in the bridge). And the stregth of the magnet also makes a big difference. I ain't an expert, but know of some. From what I gather the expertise of people at SD custom shop is quite notewothy. Remember a guy sending his PAF to be cloned at the SDCS, and he was saying that they even copied the exact gauss reading of the magnet the PAF came with.

Jim Rolph would guide you, if you prefer getting his pickups. The one I have is really one of the best I have ever heard in my guitars, but so is my a5/a3 modded 8.70K/7.70K antiquity set.

All I can say at this stage is that you have to try it for yourself. Get both sets, keep the one you like, and sell the other here on the forum.

B

Comment

Another thing: Don't get too crazy with DC readings, because there are many other factors. But to give you an idea here is what I have:

8.70K/7.70K antiquity set with a5 in the bridge a3 in the neck
                    8.35K/8.00K timbuckers (I guess with a5 bridge and a2 in the neck)
                    8.40K/8.20K timbuckers (again I think they are a5/a2)
                    8.35K/7.80K rolphs' 59s (no info on the magnets, and honestly speaking I don't care, whatever they are, they sound great)

I love all of those pickups, and cannot choose one over the other. They are different. First set being very pagey like in the bridge, and woody in the neck in a very clear way; the second and third great chime, clarity and harmonic content (over all the others) in the bridge, and very round BUT woody and clear in the neck; and the forth set being excellent for a brighter guitar, darker, thicker but getting the bite when needed, using pick attack and harmonics.

Still I gotta admit that I am using my 95LP standard with the second set almost all the time.

B

Comment

Working...
                    X