banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Walsh/James Gang Live CD/ pickup tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Walsh/James Gang Live CD/ pickup tone?

Has anybody ever heard the James Gang Live CD featuring Joe Walsh? This is the same tour I saw him on live back in the 70's, and is my all-time favorite Les Paul/Marshall tone. It's a very overdriven tone with a lot of midrange and plenty of bottom.....almost a "honky" type tone. He played everything on the bridge pickup and when he backed off for some sweet blues leads it was incredible! It almost had a violin-type singing tone to it....like hearing the wood of the instrument. I would like to know what kind of pickups you think would approach this sound. If you haven't heard the CD, you could download the song medley "Stop/You're Gonna Need Me" from a file sharing program by the James gang. (or "Lost Woman")
    I have heard many guitar greats live including Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Leslie West, Pete Townsend, Billy Gibbons, etc. but Walsh with the James Gang was by far the best. I hope someone can help me with this.

Re: Joe Walsh/James Gang Live CD/ pickup tone?

A Duncan "59" Humbucker is a good choice.

Comment

A Seth Lover or Antiquity will nail that tone, especially in a LP run through a tube amp.

Joe is a little different from most guys, he records in the studio on Fenders but plays live on a LP. There are Teles and Strats all over his studio albums.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

What about a Pearly gates?

Comment

A PG will get you there as well. It's a little hotter wound than a typical P.A.F. pickup but it's still in the right range for those tones.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Working...
          X