Pickup Choice For Cocobolo/Maple Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Choice For Cocobolo/Maple Combo

Greetings all, I'm not really new as I've posted on the old forum. I'm looking for opinions/comments for a custom guitar I'm having built soon. The body will be cocobolo with a quilted maple cap, and a maple neck and fingerboard...and I'm wondering what Duncan pickup combination will work well in that wood, especially with cocobolo being such a dense variety of rosewood. Right now I'm thinking of two humbuckers. The tone I like is a throaty, bluesy growl...midrange heavy with tons of sustain. Yeah, I know I just described the JB, but I don't know how that pickup would sound in that wood combination. I play through a Johnson Millenium modeling combo amp, and like blues, jazz, funk, r&b/soul rhythm playing, classical and classic hard rock. Santana, Ernie Isley, Eddie Hazel, Albert King, Prince and George Lynch are amongst my favorite players and tones/styles I like to emulate. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Pickup Choice For Cocobolo/Maple Combo

Isn't rosewood (or Cocobolo in your cas) already pretty midrange heavy? If this is the case, I would go with either a Custom of C5 in the bridge and a Jazz or APH in the neck. Install a pair of coil split switches, and you'll be able to cover a lot of bases with these combos.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

cocobolo, sounds like a alchoholic drink. didn't warmoth stop using because of allergic reactions
      Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
      JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
      Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
      Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
      Dunlop Classic Crybaby
      Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

I'll have a cocobolo, make it on the rocks. ok I'm done hop away
        Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
        JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
        Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
        Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
        Dunlop Classic Crybaby
        Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

Originally posted by brinton
          cocobolo, sounds like a alchoholic drink. didn't warmoth stop using because of allergic reactions

The saw dust can cause allergic reactions and damage to one's airway, but once the piece is finished, there should be no real reason for concern.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
          X