steve's special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steve's special?

this is a dimarzio that i have not tried but am being told by a few that i would love it? that is is heavy but clean?
    can someone here who has used or is still using one tell me about it in general?
    basswood body RG,floyd bridge

Re: steve's special?

I've heard and read that this pickup has a big scoop in the mids. If you have a midrange heavy guitar, it would probably work well. If you need to punch up the mids on a bright, thin sounding guitar, the Steve's Special might onlyu exacerbate that guitar's problems.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

When I bought my used V220 it had a Steves in the bridge. It is a fantastic pup for lead work and retains clarity very well under high gain. Also cleans up nice with volume control roll down. Im not much of a lead player yet, so it didnt work for me. Wasnt meat n potatoes enough for me. For lead work tho, it would be the cat's meow...
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It's nice & clear for clean sounds, too. Plus, it splits really well, if you use the hot coil.

Comment

I have the dimarzio steve's special in my RG in the bridge. It is very sharp and tight. It has a fairly open sound. Great palm mutes and the highs are cutting like a knife. Very (how can I say it...) dynamic? The palm mutes on the A string are very thrashy and tight. When you play a high speed solo the notes are sounding completely separately (like tapping, they don't run together). It's very good for poser solos, you know dive bombing, harmonics and tremolo things, tapping... The lead tone sounds like Vai's one. It hasn't the growl and snarl I wanted in rhythm playing but that's ok I'll put the Custom in my new guitar for that. I think I'll post some clips these days.
          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Working...
          X