• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit Of Help PLz

im not sure bout this
    you know the Hot Rail SHR-1 (Bridge)
    this pick up is tapable
    ie. you can wire it to use only 1 of the coils (it is a stacked humbuker i think)
    i want to be able to wire it so when my strat is in the 4th position(Bridge/Middle) i want the bridge (Shr1) to only use one of its coils.
    but when its in the 5th position(Bridge Only) i want its full Humbucker sound
    this is possible isnt it?
    anybody know where i could get a wiring diagram for this?
    or do i hav to use a push pot coz i wud rather not
    thx
    cya

Re: Bit Of Help PLz

Hi Heno; Welcome to the forum. The basic idea is to run the red/white combo to one side of the 5-way so that it will short to hot or ground in the #4 position.

Look at some of these:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...ne_-w-spl.html
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/website..._tone_spl.html
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...e-w-split.html

That will give you the basic idea.
    These are all under Support>Schematics>Strat® Noise-Cancelling Pickups

Artie

Comment

thanks for that
      Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

if you look at that that wud be the exact set up i want except thats soldered in a dif pisition

if i were to solder this set up /\/\ i wud wire the hotrail (red nd white wire)to the "Port" 2nd frm the top on the right is that rite?

or with the diagrams u showed me just wire it that same as that
      and it wud be bridge only in 5th the tapped hot rail nd middle pick up in pos 4?
      i just want this to be perfect before i touch the solderin iron
      thnx

Comment

Not exactly. Basically, a 5-way switch has two "sides" to it. On the diagram you linked to, we'll call them left and right. The left side is the normal pup switching part. The right side can be used for whatever you want, but generally only one function. In a standard Strat, they use the right side to switch in two different tone controls.

If you wanted to use it to "split" a pup, you may have to sacrifice the second tone control. Here's a quickie drawing i did to show this:

Splitting with a 5-way

You may be able to do both at the same time, I'd just have to study the diagram a bit longer.

Comment

Ok, the first link, in my first post, is the one you want to use. It doesn't matter that they show a full-size humbucker. The wiring will be the same for you.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Ok, the first link, in my first post, is the one you want to use. It doesn't matter that they show a full-size humbucker. The wiring will be the same for you.

Does that make sense?
            yeah so i wire it the same way as in that diagram nd it will be bucker sound in 5th.. tapped bucker in bridge nd middle in 4th nd all i hav to solder now is the bucker wires after i remove the soldered bridge pik up already yeah? nd i keep my 2 tones already there no sacraficing them?
            btw thanks a million man

Comment

hey i just had a look at the wiring in my strat at the min
              its sumtin like
              (single coils remember)
              Bridge:Black - grounded back of potemtiometers
              White -R4
              Middle: Black - grounded
              White R3
              Neck : R2 - White

so its sumtin like