Best natural sounding acoustic PU's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best natural sounding acoustic PU's

Hey everyone, I am looking at getting a new acoustic over the winter and am trying to get a head start on a pickup system. I think i am just going to get a regular acoustic as opposed to built in electronics. What do you guys suggest? I love the sound of the Taylor Fishman stuff, but I see a lot of people are using the Rare Earth stuff now, and other sound hole style pickups. I really like that Martin type low end sound (not that ovation sound that is really crisp and has too much high end) I usially run my acoustic through a Boss EQ to really dial in the tone, so i do not need much features with the pre amp. THANKS EVERYONE!!
    sigpic
    GUITARS: 2 Fender Strats, and Epi Les Paul
    PEDALS: X2 Wireless, 535Q crybaby, Line6 MM4, ISP Decimater, OCD, Fulltone GT-500, 2 Boss DD-5's and Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
    AMP: Fender DeVille

Re: Best natural sounding acoustic PU's

Are you looking for a natural acoustic sound for solo playing or guitar/vocal, or are you looking to cut through a full band mix?

Comment

cutting through the mix mostly. I want a very natural warm sound, but I dont wanna spend more then $200. It has also got to be simple to set up, we don't have a lot of time durring sound check to dial in the acoustic guitars.
      sigpic
      GUITARS: 2 Fender Strats, and Epi Les Paul
      PEDALS: X2 Wireless, 535Q crybaby, Line6 MM4, ISP Decimater, OCD, Fulltone GT-500, 2 Boss DD-5's and Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus
      AMP: Fender DeVille

Comment

You may want to look over some of the products and pickups on Seymour's sister site:

D-Tar (Duncan-Turner Acoustic Research)

Edit: And don't miss this one: D-Tar Sadducer

Featured on the SD homepage . . . no battery required.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 09-24-2004, 06:29 AM.

Comment

The Sadducer and other under saddle piezos will "cut" well, but aren't generally what I'd consider "warm". IMO there is no "best" acoustic pickup any more than there's a best electric one. Just like the strat guy who can't get a Les Paul sound and vice versa, an acoustic guitar that works well in a band situation might sound mediocre on its own. Note the success of Ovation and Takamine in this venue, guitars that have never impressed me with their pickup tone.

In fact, the Taylor Prefix Plus in my 412CE and the stock Fishman in my Breedlove also leave me cold. I put a PUTW 54 soundboard pup and Baggs pre in my Breedlove and all is well. But I like a natural sound, and my Breedlove will probably not do well in a band. Soundboard pickups and internal mics are much better for "real" acoustic sound, but they feed back easier and don't cut well. "you pays your money and you takes your choice..."

Comment

Working...
          X