Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taming a Neck Hotrail

hey guys-

until now i've always used the neck HR clean for gentle stuff or funky chords, but its a lead pickup! im using a DSL 401, and rarely get the chance to fully open the power tubes out...

basically, when i try the hotrails i get a really nondescript tone - i have gain on like 3 or 4, with the dirty channel volume on 8 or 9 to give it more edge.. i always have a lot of mids around as well

when you guys go for the maiden tone or the like, what steps do you take? like, amp settings etc..

remember the amp is running at low volume, that might be the problem

Re: Taming a Neck Hotrail

You're amps at low volume, huh?

TURN IT UP!!!!
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

You could always take it out... and send it to me
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

What you need to do is turn the lead channel volume down, turn the gain up and turn the master volume up. Turn the mids down a little and turn the treble up a little. This should defenitely "Maiden" up your sound
        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

what always talks maiden lead to me is bass at 4 mids at 8 and trebble at 7, gain at 3 and an extra push with a distortion pedal. turn the gain volume down to about 3 and open her up till you get that sweet singing tube sound out of the speakers

Comment

aha! my bass is always higher than that.. im gonna google his setup, im not sure i have anything like a tube screamer... mostly digital pedals.

and benjy.... you the man

cheers guys!

Comment

oh, i got a ibanez smash box and i can get a maiden like tone out of it.
              good luck finding the settings man.. i dont know anywhere that could have them

Comment

tried www.guitargeek.com, waste of time

it must just be neck hotrail and a whole lotta volume lol - im hardly a lead player anyway :P

Comment

BTW, the HR is biased toward mids. You might not need to boost the mids.

Where is your guitar volume? I find that most pups don't "sing" until about 7 or 8.
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                  X