Rory Gallagher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rory Gallagher

Which Pickup would be best for a Rory Gallagher tone? if it helps he used a '61 Strat

Re: Rory Gallagher

SSL-1's if you want it to sound more like Rory did years ago...by now the pups in the strat are more mellow...Antiquity Surfers if you want it more mellow...word of advise, don't go with a "hotter" bridge pickup.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

why wouldnt i go with a hot bridge pup?

Comment

You also probably need a treble booster - if I remember correctly, the crispy cream (krispy kreme??) is a fair reproducer of the old Dallas rangemester tones (there are others, but I have no experience of them)

Comment

Rory used a set of stock strat pups, in 1961 the bridge pup would have matched the neck as well as the middle. The whole idea of a hotter bridge pickup is a more modern idea, I mean you could use one, but Rory didn't.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

yeah im getting a Rangemaster style pedal.... thanks for the info on the pups

Comment

I think the pickups from Rory's old Strat were rewound at some point when he had problems with them.

In this interview he mentions some other pickups, but......

"With the Strat, I changed the lead pick-up for one of Fender’s hot x100 jobs, and I’ve tried the Fat Strat pick-up as well, but I always come back to the original."

(I think the Fat Strat pickup he's referring to is the DiMarzio FS-1 - that was it's original name).

He has a reputation as a Strat player, but he also used Teles quite a lot on stage and in the studio.

Comment

Cool info Simon thanks. I love his playing and tone. He is definitely one of the best players/writers ever.

That said I think a set of surfers is a close as you can get to his tone. Van Zandt blues bridge, and vintage + neck and middle almost nail that tone as well.

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

You should use the bridge+middle position with the middle tone rolled off, if you like Rory's sound. Try that into a cranked Fender Bassman and you might be surprised!

Soulman
                  MY SPACE
                  MY VIDEOS

Seymour Duncan Pickups used:
                  TB59-1b Trembucker
                  SSL-2 vintage flat

Comment

He had a live version of "Messin' with the Kid" that just was jaw dropping. If you went with an Antiquity or Vintage, you'll catch the essence of his tone.
                    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X