Help me choosing a pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choosing a pickup

After playing a lot on my own, I finally got a band, and the plan is to start rehearsing and search for gigs for summer.

The thing is I have to update my rig for rehersal and gigiin (just got a 30watts valvestate for bedroom use)

The plan is to get a pair of used Les Pauls form Ebay and then plug new pickups in it. It seems it will go through a 50watts Marshall Head, probably a DSL

The thing is what pickup to buy. This are the things I want in a pair of pickups:

.Overtones, harmonics and muscial feedback, that's very important to me
    .Medium-high output humbucker
    .Good for distorsion
    .Nice clean up when rolling volume guitar down (also a priority)
    .Capable of nice country and western tones, but maybe to achive that the pickups should have coil spilitting.........
    .Sweet and claer (no bassy) leads on rythm PU

The music we are gonna play is influenced by hard rock of the 70's, earle heavy metal, glam-pop metal from the 80's and plain raw rock n ' roll.

It seem the Jazz / JB combination is very famous, will it work for me? I have only played with dimarzios pickups, tried the Superdistortion and the Tonezone. very good but non of the suited me: I liked the bottom end and roundness of the TZ but miss tha clarity of the Super, that lacked a little character. Also I'm atracted to puta a Gibson dirty fingers in the bridge, will siut me?

So guys what do you think?

Re: Help me choosing a pickup

Your description really sounds like a JB in the bridge (complex sounds, overtones, good distortion and cleans, good split for country, not too bassy), and the Jazz really is the perfect neck pickup for the JB. I think you would find the '59 too bassy in the neck. Or you could go with an AIIPro...
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I agree. Sounds like a JB bridge is what youd want.
      Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
      Roland Cube 60
      Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
      BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
      LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
      Mogami Cables
      Mooer Candy Toppers
      Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
      Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by italic zero
        Your description really sounds like a JB in the bridge (complex sounds, overtones, good distortion and cleans, good split for country, not too bassy), and the Jazz really is the perfect neck pickup for the JB. I think you would find the '59 too bassy in the neck. Or you could go with an AIIPro...

If I go with the JB / Alnico II (the model slah uses, right?) wouldn't be a considerable difference in output between the neck and the bridge PU's? Would it be trnaslated in volume diference?

O are you suggesting a pair of alnicos, without the JB?

Comment

Any thoughts on the Dirty Fingers?

Comment

Originally posted by david garcia
            If I go with the JB / Alnico II (the model slah uses, right?) wouldn't be a considerable difference in output between the neck and the bridge PU's? Would it be trnaslated in volume diference?

O are you suggesting a pair of alnicos, without the JB?
            The AIIPro (yes, slash uses it) is a little lower output than the jazz, but it will be manageable. The main difference you'll notice will be gain, not actual volume. I haven't actually tried an AIIPro, so I can't say too much about it.
            Originally posted by The Minstrel
            Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

jb/a2pro is a nice set..

definitely go the jb bridge...

Comment

Working...
              X