Hot or Custom P-90's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot or Custom P-90's?

I'm replacing the Gibson P-100's in an LP Studio. I can't decide between the Hot or Customs. I'm a little worried that the tone curve on the Hot P-90's will give me oo much mud on the Paul. I might play rock, blues or maybe jazz on this axe. Should I go with the Custom's and turn the treble tone down for a fatter blues tone (or way down for jazz!) Or, should I go w/ the Hot P-90 and turn up the treble on the amp for a little more slice....
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Hot or Custom P-90's?

Hmmm... I wanna know too....

Comment

Custom bridge, Vintage neck. That's been in my main guitar for quite a while now ('90 LP TV Special). Actually the Custom bridge is about 15 years old now. Great pup, one of the best. Grizzly and fairly fat with a ton of midrange, really brings out the grind of a P-90. I liked the Custom neck but I really prefer the Vintage so far. I've yet to try a Hot though maybe that would be a little better balance than the Vintage.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

That's what I wanted to do with my goldtop... The neck sounds superb (might keep it in there) but the bridge is thin and doesn't have enough output (overpowered by the neck) so I was thinking "hot" bridge "vintage" neck (if neck is replaced)...Thanks for the input Wattage!

Comment

Wasn't the hot combo (the one in PRS's soapbars), a Custom neck pup in the bridge and a vintage neck in the neck? or something like that?
          Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
            Custom bridge, Vintage neck.
            I would recommend this combination as well.

I can honestly say I have never heard the "Hot" but after selling Duncans now for 4 years now I have never sold a Hot P-90. That tells me something ...

Comment

The Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr apparently shipped with an SD Hot neck and Custom bridge, and it sounds real nice. As noted already, the PRS apparently shipped with a Vintage neck at the neck and a Custom neck at the bridge, and it sounds great, too. So, it appears that mixing it up is all the rage with these P90s.

Comment

I will buy your P-100's if you decide to sell them. PM me and let me know. Thanks
                Owner:
                Slamo Custom Guitars
                Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Thanks for the P-100 refund offer. I'll definitely take you up on that! Also, a question: Is there any polarity/phase issue with the Hot Neck n / Custom Neck b Combo? DO you have to swap wires or flip the bridge pickup or anything?
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                  X