banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best neck pickup for thick high gain amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best neck pickup for thick high gain amps?

I play fairly high gain amps that I like to dial in thick and dark with a lot of low mids (i.e. Bogner Uberschall). I find this makes a great lead tone with a bridge humbucker, but I still haven't found a neck humbucker that I like. They always tend to be too muddy and bassy with these settings.

Right now my main guitar is a Hamer Korina Standard which has a Custom 5 in the bridge and a Seth in the neck. I don't care for the C5 and will probably move the Seth into the bridge position - that's a pickup I know and love for these type of tones. I like low gain pickups with high gain amps.

So I think I need a neck humbucker that is fairly thin and bright and scooped in the low mids, with a glassy high end and tight bottom end. I don't need a lot of gain and the volume level should complement a Seth Lover or similar. My ideal neck humbucker tone is Micheal Schenker's but with more gain.

I'm thinking maybe a Jazz or Pearly Gates - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Best neck pickup for thick high gain amps?

i'd go with the jazz
    i havent had much experience with the PG so i couldnt tell u about it or whether it would be better than the jazz in this case.
    1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
    1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
    Jackson KVX10: X2N
    1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
    Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
    http://fusionken.blogspot.com
    http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

i think a jazz would be a good choice, nice clean tight sound

Comment

I love the sound of the PG in the neck on my Les Paul DC copy. Very agressive for a neck pickup yet not muddy at all imagine that. I also think you can't go wrong with a Jazz, they are very clear.

Comment

Working...
        X