Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emg 81 vs. live wire hvy. mtl.

i want to hear what people think about the 81 and the heavy metal pickup
    please tell me what type of music your into and if you've played the pickup before thanks

im looking for that early def leppard /dio tone i play alot of skid row also

Re: emg 81 vs. live wire hvy. mtl.

In the early 80's I think Scotti Hill used to have a JB in his guitars (Peavey gtrs). Many great players from that time used that pup in their guitars.
    Good luck!
    Mike

Comment

I'd go with jb as well for that tone...

haven't used a livewire or 81, so can't comment on them..

Comment

I have the heavy metal live wire set in my guitar....its definitely a really heavy, crunchy tone. Its really saturated and hotter than EMGs...and they use two 9volt batteries instead of one.

Comment

jessica.. please.. clips! i dun care if it's just chugging on the e string, i want to hear them in a real setting.. with lotsa gain

Comment

Def Leppard- Phil Collen used Dimarzio Super 3's. Skid Row- Scotti Hill used JB's, Dave Sabo used various pu's, like PRS HFS, EMG 81 in an Iceman. Vivian campbell- the Full Shred was designed for him.
            I wouldn't use the EMG 81 unless you had a huge amp setup

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
              jessica.. please.. clips! i dun care if it's just chugging on the e string, i want to hear them in a real setting.. with lotsa gain
              I'll be posting some clips in the near future of the actives I have, just need to sort out my set-up for recording.

The pickups I'll do clips for are:

LiveWire Metal
              LiveWire Classic
              EMG 89
              EMG 60

They'll have to be bridge position only for the time being - I haven't gotten round to routing out the neck single on the guitar I'll be using to take a humbucker yet. But I will

EDIT: I'll probably do the EMGs in 9v and 18v modes, depends how much time I get.

Comment

WOOT!!! i dont care about the neck position with the live wired metal.. but i'd like to hear the classic..

and the emg60 also. both ways (btw.. hetfield uses the 60 in the bridge or neck position?? i always forget that one)

and thanks bunches =)

just remember.. high gain enviroment if it's a one trick pony, push it to the limit and beyond

Comment

If you guys can talk Stevo into taking my guitar and doing a recording....by all means, go for it. I have Live Wire Metal set...which is a Live Wire Metal in the bridge and a Live Wire Classic in the neck. They are pretty insane.....so start kissing up to Stevo everyone!

Comment

hetfield's set up it the emg 60 in the neck and emg 81 in the bridge as for the emg 81 vs live wire metal i have an emg 81 in the bridge of my guitar and its great for high gain the distortion is great it gives you good leads and the clean sound of the 81 in the bridge dosent sound that great its kinda weak but i have and 85 in the neck and the clean sounds out of the 85 are great and the 85 sounds good in the bridge also but i cant tell you anything about the live wire metal ive never used them ive ben wanting to though im thinking about gettin some

Comment

How did you manage to write all that without using any punctuation?
                      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

ahahaaha

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                          How did you manage to write all that without using any punctuation?
                          +1
                          Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

I used a "Live Wire Metal" to record my bands (Decrepit Birth) last album. I really like it! I have owned tons of Emg 81's, and they are great, but I think the Live Wire Metal rules!!! My Jackson SL1 has an Emg 81, but I think I am going to get a Live wire metal for it, like my custom Charvel. If you want to check some samples of the Live Wire Metal in use on my bands album, check out these samples:

Jackson SL1 with an Emg 81 and Emg single coils
                            Charvel custom with a Seymour Duncan Live Wire Metal
                            B.C. Rich Warlock N.J. with crappy B.C. Rich stock pickups
                            Digitech Gsp21 Legend(about to upgrade to an Engl e570)
                            BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer
                            Alesis Meq230
                            Samson S1500 750watt a side power amp(about to upgrade to a Mesa Boogie 2:ninety)
                            X2 Marshall 4x12 1960 "B" cabs

My band: www.decrepitbirth.com

Comment

well.... my ears have just been raped >.< sorry, but i'm not into that kind of music.. guitars sound awesome though.. but nothing i could achieve with my JB and a ultra highgain amp =P
                              but with the LWM you prolly dont need that high gain amp as the pup drives it harder than anything else lol

Comment

Working...
                              X