Bridge PU for Les Paul Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge PU for Les Paul Studio

I just bought a '98 Les Paul Studio with an ebony fingerboard. I do like the stock pu's but if I can find a bridge pu that is sweeter and "squackier", I would consider replacing it. I like Slash's tone a lot and I also like Billy Gibbons and Leslie West's rich, sweet, squacky tones (sorry for repeating this stupid word but I don't know of a better way to describe the sound in my head!!!). I play classic rock, bluesy southern rock, some 80's metal.

Please give me your suggestions on improving the bridge position. Also, just out of curiosity, what is the main difference between a stock LP neck pu and SD 59?

Thanks!!!!

Re: Bridge PU for Les Paul Studio

I've always heard the JB does wonderful with an Ebony fretboard. It will also cover the 80's metal wonderfully. It'll do blues also, being it has a "roundness" to it's response. Classic and Southern Rock could be done with relative ease. If you like the output of the 498T, the JB is in the same ballpark. JB is thicker, smoother, and more singing though.

As for the neck, I personally think the 490R sounds more like a Seth than a '59. Has that softer bottom and more rounded (yet crunchy) top than the '59, which brings it into the Seth tonal range. Similar, not the same. 490R seems to have an upper mid thing, kind of like a cross between a Pearly Gates and Seth.

What amp are you using BTW? That plays a major, major roll.

Edit: Slash (AII Pro) and Billy Gibbon (Pearly Gates) use "low" output pickups that give a more airy, "squalky" tone. A Seth may work for you in the bridge, but it may not quite give you that 80's tone.

Nathan
    Last edited by SemperRhythm; 09-29-2004, 08:09 PM.
    Formerly "Raven LP"

Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
    Splawn 212 Vertical Cab with Eminence Governors
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    '95 Gibson LP Standard (Custom Shop S-Deco-5 11.5k / Jazz)
    PRS Swamp Ash Special (?? / ?? / ??)
    '04 Fender American Fat Strat (stock, for now...)

Comment

I vote for something low output. Maybe a Pearly Gates, 57 classic plus, Seth Lover, etc...
      PRS Singlecuts
      Epiphone Sheraton II
      Vintage acoustics

Comment

Pg!

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

For the type of stuff you play I'd really recommend the JB to you.
          Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
          Roland Cube 60
          Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
          BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
          LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
          Mogami Cables
          Mooer Candy Toppers
          Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
          Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Les Pauls? It's Custom 5/59 in nickelcovered.
            It used to be JB/Jazz, then we broke out of fusion, and moved to a Custom/59, but it was too harsh, then CC/APII and it had choked highs, so we went vintage and the Seths and Antiquities lacked tightness and output, so we went to the industry standard 59 set, however the bridge needed more balls, so we stayed with the industry standard neck pickup, and Duncan's newest Custom......the C-5/59. Learn it, live it.
            Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-30-2004, 01:24 AM.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by SemperRhythm

What amp are you using BTW? That plays a major, major roll.

Edit: Slash (AII Pro) and Billy Gibbon (Pearly Gates) use "low" output pickups that give a more airy, "squalky" tone. A Seth may work for you in the bridge, but it may not quite give you that 80's tone.

Nathan
              I use a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 20W combo. My swamp ash Carvin Bolt with a Dimarzio Tone Zone gives me a perfect metal sound so I want utilize the Les Paul for a more vintage, sweet, bluesy sound. I don't think I want to go with a JB. I had it in my Carvin prior to Tone Zone and it sounded a bit compressed with not enough air. TZ sounds much better in that guitar. I am sure the JB is more suitable for a Les Paul but I think I will consider Pearly Gates or AII Pro for the bridge. I really like the stock neck PU but I am very tempted to try a 59.

GEARJONESER, I am not familiar with the C5 but I will research it. Can you tell me more about it?

Comment

I'd go with a Seth or a Pearly Gates as Dr. Barlo said. If they don't give you the push you want, try a C5 or Custom. The lower outputs will give you that airy, squalky sound you want though.

Nathan
                Formerly "Raven LP"

Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
                Splawn 212 Vertical Cab with Eminence Governors
                Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
                '95 Gibson LP Standard (Custom Shop S-Deco-5 11.5k / Jazz)
                PRS Swamp Ash Special (?? / ?? / ??)
                '04 Fender American Fat Strat (stock, for now...)

Comment

I am pasting a rather long post I have done to vintage_fan's thread asking for pickups for his LP with 498T/490R set. I thought you could benefit reading it.

----------------------------

First of all you need to find a reference point in order to understand what the descriptions of various pickups are. Don't worry you already have one. The closest set (considerably better tho) of SD's line to 498T/490R is a C5 in the bridge and a Seth neck (in the neck there are other competitors like Pearly Gates neck or Alnico 2 Pro neck).

The reason is that the construction of the pickups are alike. Naturally the overall results are similar. 498T's, just like c5's, have alnico 5 magnets and are wound similarly (I guess with the same gauge wire as that in C5's but maybe different coating I am not sure, and the winding pattern which makes a huge difference, would be different as well). Nonetheless, their overall vibe is similar, but C5's have less of 498T's annoying uppermid spike and are more clear.

My 490R is 8.00K and has an alnico 2 magnet. Its sound is not bad, but a SD A2 PAF clone neck is sweeter. More clear, more spongy, but when driven it gets thick still retaining the clarity. Clarity under gain is definitely a point that I think SD's pickups clear win the battle against 490R.

Which one among the SD PAF clones to go for depends on your tastes. If oyu wanna have that sweet round tone with spongy bass in your neck go for an a2 PAF clone. Seth neck is great, clear, soft but does great under gain; if you wanna have extra uppermids to cut through easier get a Pearly Gates neck (but that's exactly the point some don't like because it makes this pickup somewhat more upfront in comparison to other SD a2 PAF clones); if you wanna get a rounder tone, thicker but with slightly less clarity (some would disagree I know, but that's what my ears are telling me) go for a alnico 2 pro. Well if you wanna get a soft, sweet, clear, tone that blooms (with pick attack) instead of being full of uppermids (during the pick attack), get my favorite the antiquity neck HB. You won't regret it. + getting into magnet swapping turns this HB into one that stands tall against any of the very pricey, high quality boutique PAF repros.

If you wanna get less spongy bass, more defined tone in the neck with more uppermids and less lowermids (the bass as I said will be more in your face, i.e. less spongy) go for an a5 PAF clone in the neck. Competitors are 59n, and Jazz-n. The result would be a more strat-neck sounding HB. 59n always delivers, but I have to admit that it is not very high on my personal list. All my 59n's have alnico 3 magnets, instead of alnico 5's.

For the bridge again it is upto your tastes. In the bridge if you wanna have a LedZep kinda biting tone, go for a 8.00-8.70K a5 PAF clone. Pagey's set features a 59 kinda bridge pickup at 8.70K. Getting an antiquity and modding it with an a5 magnet gives excellent results. 59b is great too. If you wanna have less thumb, but still maintain the bite, get a PGb, a great pickup. For softer ones Seths and Antiquities (sorry I did not try the a2p in the bridge) are the ones to consider. I think for softer tones antiquities cannot be beaten, they have the mojo.

Hope that helps.

B

Comment

Thanks dr. barlo! I found your post vey useful, very insightful. It is very difficult to make a choice since there are so many good pu's put there. Right now I am leaning towards PG on the bridge. I might even consider a PG set although I am going back in forth on replacing the 490R as I like it a lot.

Comment

IMO the PG-b has a good "squack" to it.....if you could find an old JB that's been used alot with an aged magnet in it I'd recommend that (I have one of these in my Studio and it sounds really sweet)....if that still sounds too high for you then you may want to go for a Custom; good highs but not shrill, great punch in the mids and lows. I've never tried a C-5 but from what I've read here it's definitely another option if you think you'd like the sound of a '59 with more output and lows.

Comment

Man I would say no way to the JB. Couldn't stand it in the bridge of my Studio w/ebony FB. The 59 and Pearly are much better choices.
                        Playing:
                        Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
                        Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
                        Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
                        Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Pearly Gates all the way. With no hesitation.
                          Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                          Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                          Originally posted by Sosomething
                          "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

My LP Studio is one of my favorite sounding guitars and it has stock 490s. I have 8 guitars and 6 of them have Seymour Duncan pickups. The two that do not are a Strat with the EMG Dave Gilmour setup and the LP Studio that has the 490s. I can't believe how great these pickups sound in my Studio. As my sound engineer says, it's the most "lespaulish" sounding guitar I have. I have Customs and Custom Customs in my other humbucking guitars but I just could not bring myself to mess with the great sound coming from my Studio.

Comment

Don't mention it.

Personally I think over time (not right away, that is, do it digesting the results) you should do the following:

1. Get a set of PGs

1. Get 500K CTS pots and 0.022uf (for the neck), and 0.033uf or 0.022uf (for the bridge, depending on the brightness of your guitar, the higher value cutting off more highs) orange drop caps, and wire it a la 50's.

3. Wrap your strings on the tailpiece.

4. Get a aluminuum tail piece (tone pro's or pigtail's)

5. Enjoy the results!

B

Comment

Working...
                              X