banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats better in the neck? Pearly or Jazz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats better in the neck? Pearly or Jazz?

First let me say thanks for all the help you guys have been giving me. It’s hard to pick out PU’s cause you can’t try them. Its all word of mouth and reviews. But heres what I have so far for my Les Paul Custom….

I’m gonna go with the JB in the bridge. But am unsure about the neck. Figured if the JB is good enough for Adam Jones and Billy Duffy than good enough for me The music I play is kinda of heavy(I posted a song in the Tips and Clips section). I would use the neck more for solos. So looking for a hard rhythm for the bridge but want a smooth full tone for the neck. Was thinking PG’s in the neck cause of Billy Gibbons but its more of a bridge PU. So very confused and undecided what to do with the neck PU. Please help. Thanks in advance

Re: Whats better in the neck? Pearly or Jazz?

I've got a LP Custom with Antiquities in it, but have been considering the Jazz for the neck, to brighten up chords. I've tried a Jazz in Wattage's LP Standard and liked it a lot. Check out the samples on the SD site also. That should help.

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I'd have a hard time choosing...the PGn and Jazz are my two favorite neck pickups.

Comment

My LP has Classic 57 PUs in it now. Is the Jazz or PG's better or comparable?
        Wondering if I'm replacing the same thing...kinda like foreplay

Yeah I listened to the sound clip didn't help me much haha. I think either way i will be ok. Just wish I could try them with my rig..you know?

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
          I'd have a hard time choosing...the PGn and Jazz are my two favorite neck pickups.

you have them in your guitars? Yeah its tough. But I think I am making more out of it than I should be. Just want to get the right thing

Comment

I like the PG much more in a LP than a Jazz. Don't get me wrong, the Jazz is a good pickup, but a LP with a Pearly Gates in it just sounds "right" to me.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
              I like the PG much more in a LP than a Jazz. Don't get me wrong, the Jazz is a good pickup, but a LP with a Pearly Gates in it just sounds "right" to me.
              even though it will be in the neck?

Comment

The Pearly Gates neck will have more output than the Jazz. It also will have stronger mids and a more "creamy" tone. And it will sound thicker and more powerful.

The Jazz will have more bass and highs than the Pearly, more "scooped" or "hollow" sounding. Less "oomph" but with more articulation.

They both go great with a JB. I used to swear by the JB/Jazz combo (like Seymour), but I think I like the JB/PG combo more these days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                buggjuice.net
                MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
                  The Pearly Gates neck will have more output than the Jazz. It also will have stronger mids and a more "creamy" tone. And it will sound thicker and more powerful.

The Jazz will have more bass and highs than the Pearly, more "scooped" or "hollow" sounding. Less "oomph" but with more articulation.

They both go great with a JB. I used to swear by the JB/Jazz combo (like Seymour), but I think I like the JB/PG combo more these days.

awesome post!!! thanks!

Comment

No problemo....
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                    buggjuice.net
                    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ballgame
                      even though it will be in the neck?

I have a PG set in my LP and I couldn't be happier. Awesome tones from the neck, bridge, and middle positions, either in humbucker mode or in split mode.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

guess I have a bigger problem now. No one around me has them for the neck. Only bridge, so if I order it it will take two weeks

Comment

I think Mac-P's post is right on the mark. I have used both of those pickups.
                          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

thanks guys. you have made it easier and I now know what I want. I just bought the PG on ebay since no one near me sells the neck PG's

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P

So... according to your description, do you think the Jazz can cop some decent single coil tone?

Comment

Working...
                              X