banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats better in the neck? Pearly or Jazz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats better in the neck? Pearly or Jazz?

Originally posted by Mac-P
    The Pearly Gates neck will have more output than the Jazz. It also will have stronger mids and a more "creamy" tone. And it will sound thicker and more powerful.

The Jazz will have more bass and highs than the Pearly, more "scooped" or "hollow" sounding. Less "oomph" but with more articulation.

They both go great with a JB. I used to swear by the JB/Jazz combo (like Seymour), but I think I like the JB/PG combo more these days.

I have a 59n in my LP Standard and find it too bassy/muddy through my plexi RI (cranking the amp passed 2 creates perfect power tube distortion, but this also adds a lot of bass and so the 59n is not a good match). This is why I was going to go a Jazz neck to complement my JB, considering that the tone guide from the spec chart on this site indicates that the Jazz has more highs and fewer lows than the 59n. When I compare the Jazz to the PG's tone chart though, it looks like they have the same lows but that the PG has more mids and fewer highs, so I could understand that the PG would be thicker than the Jazz, but shouldn't they have a similar bass response? Anyway, I still think the Jazz is better for me (more highs, don't need the extra thickness), but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this.

Comment

The bass response on the Jazz and the PG isn't that similar once you hear them. They both have snap on the low notes, but the PG is a bit rounder. This is especially true of the high notes. Also, the PGn seems to push a lot harder than the Jazz when driven, but it still has a lot of clarity, due to the high mids that the PG has. I like both pickups, but I like the PG a lot more.

BTW, I had the same problem with the 59 i my LP. Switched to a PG, and it's been great. ALso, try the 59 with an Alnico II mag. Not exactly a PG, but very tasty, nonetheless.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody777
        So... according to your description, do you think the Jazz can cop some decent single coil tone?
        Both the Jazz n & '59 n have a certain "single coil-ish" quality to them. Sort of hollow and snappy. Of the two, the Jazz is a bit thinner sounding and not as powerful, so yea, sort of "single" style. The '59 has more bass. The Jazz has less balls and more top end.

Originally posted by No effects
        I have a 59n in my LP Standard and find it too bassy/muddy through my plexi RI (cranking the amp passed 2 creates perfect power tube distortion, but this also adds a lot of bass and so the 59n is not a good match). This is why I was going to go a Jazz neck to complement my JB, considering that the tone guide from the spec chart on this site indicates that the Jazz has more highs and fewer lows than the 59n. When I compare the Jazz to the PG's tone chart though, it looks like they have the same lows but that the PG has more mids and fewer highs, so I could understand that the PG would be thicker than the Jazz, but shouldn't they have a similar bass response? Anyway, I still think the Jazz is better for me (more highs, don't need the extra thickness), but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this.
        The PG is a thicker sounding more powerful pickup than the Jazz. Most of the push comes from the mids (no doubt due to the alnico 2 mag), but also because the pup is wound hotter.

The Jazz (alnico V) has more bass than the PG, but is scooped in the mids, like the '59 (alnico V). So the Pearly has a thicker sound even though there is less bass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
          the PGn seems to push a lot harder than the Jazz when driven, but it still has a lot of clarity, due to the high mids that the PG has. I like both pickups, but I like the PG a lot more.
          I second that. I like the PG a lot more as well.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
          buggjuice.net
          MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X