Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil split 59's in SG - progress report

Hey all,

I recently completed my SG project, in which I replaced the stock 490's from my special, and put in a pair of 59's with coil splits and push/push pots.

I'd just like to report that I am thoroughly happy and would recommend this combo to anyone who is looking for a classic rock sound. Both pups sound great, both in hummer and split positions, as do all the various blending configs. Even if you don't want the splits, you'll be thrilled with just the simplified "straight up" hummers.

There's so many PAF flavors out there, and I thank all of you experienced pupswappers for steering me to the 59's.

Also, thanks for the wiring tips. You guys are great., and were willing to offer solutions when I posted that I ran into problems.

Unfortunately, I just couldn't fix it on my own after a few hours of twisting and turning through all those connections, so I brought to my local shop and they fixed all my wiring problems for only 40 bucks. woohooo, not a bad price at all. And when I mean "fix", I really mean "rip out all of my spaghetti and start fresh". LOL. He didn't even bother diagnosing what I did wrong. For my own sake, I would have loved to know that it was just some cold solder ground, or a missed connection, but I'll never know. He said it was easier just to start from scratch. He fixed it the same night I brought it in, and I was able to get it back the next morning. more woohooo's.

all's well that ends well,
    sabe

Re: coil split 59's in SG - progress report

Very cool deal. Not to rock the boat but did you have the guitar wired so that the splits when run simutaniously are noise cancelling? Thats the way I like to do it.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Re: coil split 59's in SG - progress report

Robert,
      There is no humm or buzz when either (or both) are activated, so I guess I got that set up right, either by luck or design...LOL

Also, in a continuation of my upper posting, I wanted to say how versatile those 59's are. I brought it to rehearsal on weds night, and I was able to get some great leads out of the neck, which is something I never liked doing with the 490. Prior, I would have never done anything more than muddy subdued bluesy melody lead-fills for Stormy Monday on the neck. That was pretty much the only song that I liked to use the neck for a lead.

So on weds, I found myself taking that neck pup and running it through all the paces and finding it a great alternative to always using the bridge for the leads as I had when everything was still stock.

And I really like the splits on both pups when they go through the Q-tron. Really adds a new texture that cuts right into our mix when I need it. (we have 3 guitars up front...2 strats and my SG).

So in a nutshell, I'm glad I made the move. Wished I did it sooner. Shouldn't have waited 14 years. All along, I was always wrestling with different amps, pedals, (and even other guitars) as I strived for the ultimate tweaks in my sound. Who knew all I had to do was drop in a set of Duncs. Well I guess you guys did.

Comment

Working...
      X