Pickup replacement on Ibanez 540S 7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup replacement on Ibanez 540S 7 string

Hi. I Hope you guys can help me with this problem...

I have an Ibanez custom saber 540s 7 string (1 humbucker, 2 single coil stock pickups ... blaze?), which is currently used for collecting dust, because I only use my Gibson LP with SD Jazz/JB pickups. The main reason is that the Ibanez sounds like crap compared to my Gibson. I'd like to use my Ibanez a bit more and knowing the difference that a pickup change can make, i want to change them.

If i'm correct, the saber model has a light mahogany body and a bolt-on neck. I also can't seem to find non-DiMazzio 7 string single coils. Does SD have them? (I can't find them).

For the bridge i'm looking for a heavy growl with a fat thight low end, without the mudd. The neck should have a warm open sound and for the middle.. well.. i'm open to suggestions. Styles I play are: Metal, Rock, Funk and Jazz.

Re: Pickup replacement on Ibanez 540S 7 string

Duncan makes 7 string models of the 59, Jazz, Custom, JB, Distortion and Invader. I think that's it but I may have missed one. As far as the single coils, I'm actually not sure if they do have them. They could make them in the Custom Shop but I doubt you would want to drop the cash on that.

I put a Custom/Jazz in my RG1527 and it has a pretty good tone. If I were to go back and do it again, I would probably put a Distortion in the bridge. The Custom is just not quite what I love in a pickup. It's almost what I would call "Distortion Lite." However, it is still a very good pickup, tight and somewhat aggressive with plenty of harmonics.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitro

I also can't seem to find non-DiMazzio 7 string single coils. Does SD have them? (I can't find them).
      Kent Armstrong make 7 string single coil pickups, if you want to take a look at those:

Comment

So far i've seen Kent Armstrong and Rio Grande 7 string single coil pick-ups. But information is hard to get. Soundclips are totally unavailable. (big plus for SD pups!) Can anyone tell me if there are more brands who sell single coil 7 string pups? It would be very nice if someone can tell how they sound (or even has some soundclips).

Comment

I've got an online sound sample for you, hope this helps... I've also heard some good things about rio grande pu's. Maybe you should check the jemsite.com forum (If you haven't already done so)

Blaze 7 single Sample

Comment

Working...
          X