SH-4 vs. TB-4 - big deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-4 vs. TB-4 - big deal?

A newbie question: I got an SH-2n/SH-4 "Hot Rodded" set for my Ibanez SZ520QM. Now I realized that the SZ520 has a wider string spacing at the bridge (although it's fixed), so the TB-4 would be a better match.

If I still installed the narrower SH-4, would there be any major effect on the sound? I guess there must be a good reason for making a "trembucker" version...

Re: SH-4 vs. TB-4 - big deal?

it'll be fine, it just won't look as neat.

Comment

Some people find that it cuts off some of the sound on the top and bottom strings. I have tried a standard sized pickup in a trem guitar and it didn't look as good as it could have but it didn't cut out any sound or tone. You should be fine.
      Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
      Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

In the old days you didn't have a choice. What did the guitar heros do back then? Did their tone suck?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          In the old days you didn't have a choice. What did the guitar heros do back then? Did their tone suck?
          Right. As Grandturk will tell you, his Dave Murray and Adrian Smith signature guitars both have standard spaced Super Distortions in them. If it's good enough for Iron Maiden it must be alright!
          I've got standard spaced pickups in guitars and don't notice any difference, other than visually and even that's barely noticeable.

So, stick it in and rock out.

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Here's what I don't understand about this mindset (for lack of a better word, lol): Of course players used standard spaced ones back in the day when that was all that was available.
            But now that something that's obviously a sonic as well as aesthetic improvement is available, why wouldn't you use it (unless you, like thie OP, just happen to have a standard spaced one lying around otherwise gathering dust, y'know.... ) ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
              Here's what I don't understand about this mindset (for lack of a better word, lol): Of course players used standard spaced ones back in the day when that was all that was available.
              But now that something that's obviously a sonic as well as aesthetic improvement is available, why wouldn't you use it (unless you, like thie OP, just happen to have a standard spaced one lying around otherwise gathering dust, y'know.... ) ?
              I would disagree that a trembucker is "obviously" a sonic and aesthetic improvement.
              You can't hear the difference as far as I'm concerned, and only notice the visual difference if you look closely at it.
              I agree, if there's a straight choice between trembucker and standard humbucker, and both are the same price/colour whatever then get the trembucker, but it really makes such little difference to me, personally, that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a standard one if it was cheaper or whatever.

Comment

Thanks for all replies, I think I'm comfortable with using my existing pickup.

In fact, I didn't realize I knew about players who didn't care much about aesthetics and ideal alignment...

Comment

It's only a big deal if you want your polepieces to line up.

Now that I see frankenstein again, was EVH really the first to dump a humbucker in the bridge of a strat, or did others do it before him and EVH just happened to be insanely popular?
                  <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Comment

IMO, the bigger deal with a SH-4 or TB-4 is 250K vs. 500K.

Comment

I just found another interesting example:

Eddie's latest Wolfgang guitar

Closer look at the bridge pickup shows it's not aligned with strings. And this is the result of Eddie's 35 year long quest for tone. According to the story on the site they tested *many* pickups and ended up making custom ones for this model - but apparently they didn't bother to get the spacing right...

Comment

Originally posted by ganzosrevenge View Post
                        It's only a big deal if you want your polepieces to line up.

Now that I see frankenstein again, was EVH really the first to dump a humbucker in the bridge of a strat, or did others do it before him and EVH just happened to be insanely popular?

Dunno, when did Dave Murray put a Super D in his strat? Before 1979 I'd guess, but there musta been other guys long before that.

Comment

Re: SH-4 vs. TB-4 - OK, not a HUGE deal, but...

Originally posted by Diocletian View Post
                          I would disagree that a trembucker is "obviously" a sonic and aesthetic improvement.
                          You can't hear the difference as far as I'm concerned, and only notice the visual difference if you look closely at it.
                          I agree, if there's a straight choice between trembucker and standard humbucker, and both are the same price/colour whatever then get the trembucker, but it really makes such little difference to me, personally, that I wouldn't hesitate to buy a standard one if it was cheaper or whatever.
                          I can hear the (albeit slight) difference in the 'E' string response...but then, I can hear dog whistles and 'silent' alarms...

Comment

hello
                            I just got my hot rodded SH-2n and TB-4 JB for my Ibanez RG2EX1 with the hard tail bridge

I was just a bit disappointed when I laid the SH-2 on top of the strings to compare the difference between trembucker spacing and standard spacing on MY bridge

the spacing on mine ( as my calipers said ) is 2.063 at the bridge

the back of the trembucker package said 2.070 and up should use the pickup

it was soooo close
                            the standard's poles were just a hair inside the E-strings and the trem was just as much outside

I really cant see why, in my case, either one or the other would be preferable

I actually thought about calling to exchange the trem for a standard spaced JB

but a second look and ya really would have to be anal to even notice, from a visual standpoint

its the same pickup and is sonically indistinguishable

EHD
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post

I am not sure I agree the sonic improvement is "obvious". Certainly it does exist as the string will be oriented differently to the pole piece but could anyone pick it out in a double blind? I'm not convinced they could.

Comment

Working...
                              X