asked to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asked to death?

Hi all, 1st time poster here. I have read thru and searched every site I can find about wiring, to gain a little knowledge, but I still have some questions. I have a mexican strat, 3 single coils, 1 volume, 2 tones. When I first bought this guitar, it was very noisy. I took it to a guy that used to live in town (OHHH where the hell is he when I need em). He wired a "dummy" pup in the back of the guitar... explaining it mimiced a humbucker; it worked, great in fact.
    Here's the new take on it; I bought a Lil 59 today for the bridge, thinking I'd just scan the schematics, and voila. nay. 1st of all, the 5 way switch I have, has all the conductors in a row, not 4 per side. secondly, the scheme from SD.com is incomplete. for my setup, it says to solder red+white together. Ok, but after theyre connected together, what are they soldered to? Also, the schematic says that each ground lead can be grounded on the back of the volume pot, is that what I'm reading?
    Last question; now that I have this 59, can I/should I remove the dummy pup from the equation, without gaining too much noise in the remaining single coils?
    Basically, I'm your run of the mill poor musician trying to save a buck. If anyone can clear this mess up for me, I'll be forever indebted. Also, sorry if I sound like I'm a complete wiring newb... I am
    Thanks for your time.
    Troy

Re: asked to death?

the red and white are soldered together and taped off...just wrap the ends where they are soldered together with tape, i used electrical tape....and tape them off so they cannot touch anythign metal

the green and bare wire are ground, they can just be soldered together, and then soldered to the ground on the back of the volume pot together

the black just goes to the switch in the same place the old bridge pickups "hot" wire went to the switch...... and i supposed you can just leave the dummy coil.....tho i am not sure how that works, it may mess things up a bit...... let somebody else chime in about the dummy coil
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

I think I'll just take the dummy coil out, as the 59 is a humbucker, I shouldn't need it anymore... I hope. I spose I'll just re-wire the whole dang thing according to the chart then. That still leaves a question though; how does the 5-way switch on the chart (4 leads per side) translate to my switch (all leads on the same side)? If I knew this, I should be in the clear. Thanks for the reply.
      Troy

Comment

bump... only net access I have is at work, so, pardon my bump as I have about 10 more hours to get the info

Comment

check www.mrgearhead.com

they got schematics for all or most of fender/squier equipment
          -Greg

Guitars:
          2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
          2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
          2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
          Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I took the dummy coil out, and created some noise in the neck pup, which I expected. But the humbucker still seems to be a little noisy. I took great caution in soldering, not leaving any more bare wire than it took to solder the connection. Followed the schematics to a tee. I had to test it at my brothers house though, and I'm thinking it may have just been his amp, as his full HB Ibanez wasnt that quiet either. I hope I got it. Thanks for the link to Mr Gearhead, it did help alot.

Comment

Working...
            X