neck pup to match stl2 hot tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck pup to match stl2 hot tele

I'm putting together an ash tele. Its a medium/heavy body @ 5 1/2 pounds mated to a warmoth fatback neck w/vintage frets and truss. I have a sd stl-2 pup which I love and will be dropping it into this git. I'm using a callagham bridge w/compensated brass barrells. I'm thinking of popping a stb2 into the neck but want to get some opinions from y'all about the best choice.

I play mainly classic rock and want a pickup that will keep up w/the hot bridge pup. I'd like it to be able to play clean w/the volume rolled down and scream w/the vol up and some overdrive. I'm not running a tone control.

Whadda y'all think?

Re: neck pup to match stl2 hot tele

Hey gottliver.

I use the STL-2 myself. It's my favorite Tele pickup. I use a standard, vintage STR-1 in the neck. It balances just fine.

Keep in mind the tapped option, in which you'd use a 5-way switch to get a variety of tones:

Position One: lead full output
    Position Two: lead full output with rhythm
    Position Three: rhythm
    Position Four: lead tapped output with rhythm
    Position Five: lead tapped output

This is what Seymour uses, and it's what he did for Jeff Beck on Guitar Shop. There's a wiring diagram for it here.

I hope that helps.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Re: neck pup to match stl2 hot tele

Hi Evan,

Thanks for info! The stl2 I have is not tapped and my tele is rear routed w/a volume and a lp style 3 way switch. So the 5 way is out of the question. I like rolling down the vol to get my clean tone, it darkens up a bit as well which I like.

I think the stl2 is a way underrated pup. I know by the numbers its very unconventional but plugged in its got plenty of twang and bite. I've tried the 5/2, a2pro, dimarzio vitual hot, texas specials, and I like these the best!

One day I may try putting a baseplate on 'em but for now I like 'em as is.

Comment

Working...
      X