Feedback problem, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback problem, any suggestions?

I have a Squire "Fat" Strat, the model with two single coil pickups and a humbucker and I have an annoying problem with feedback. Be it onstage, in the rehearsal room or at home and with just about any amp I find that with anywhere near the amount of distortion I would like my guitar has a tendancy to squeal horrifically. I don't mean the usual sound you'd expect by turning up the gain and standing too close to your amp, I mean more like the sound you'd get by holding a microphone infront of a speaker cabinet. The sort of squeal that makes everyone instantly curl up into a ball.

It's becoming a big problem as it starts as soon as I mute the guitar. My hand can still be flat against the strings and the sound will start. I tried the same setup using a more expensive Fender Strat and instantly the problem was rectified. The only feedback I got was deliberate and quite controllable.

I believe that this may be due to buying cheap in the first place, however after playing several Fender Strats I find they just don't have the same physical feel as my Squire copy. I thought that maybe changing the pickups for some better quality ones could be the answer. Could this be the case? If so I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction towards finding a set of replacements that would suit the style my band plays. I'd need a crisp, traditional clean sound with the ability to bucket the distortion on via a pedal when need be. Not too bassy, similar to the current trend of American punk and emo bands.

Has anyone got any suggestions? The wizard seems to suggest pickups for the usual three single coil setup only, unfortunately.

Thanks.

Re: Feedback problem, any suggestions?

Too Dice, how old is this guitar?
    It sounds like a defective pup to me, actually. I would have a tech check it out. There's no point in throwing good money after bad.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I agree. It sounds like the crappy stock pickups are giving you that harmonic squeel.

I'd suggest a Duncan JB or DiMarzio Super Distortion (for reference, Thrice uses both in different guitars) for the bridge and something like a pair of Fender Texas Specials for the other two single coils.

I don't really know Duncan single coils all that well, so maybe someone else could recommend some of them.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Try putting some bubble wrap under the pickup. If that doesnt work either try dipping it in parafin wax or buying a new pickup. I had the same problem and the bubble wrap worked.
        My bands links:

PEDL
        www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
        www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
        www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Is it the humbucker that does it? Does it have a metal cover? The potting suggested is usually the answer in any case. Changing pups is a good soution, but it seems that you really like what you have, which means you should try to fix it. If you are not familiar with wax potting, find someone who is.

Comment

Working...
          X