No announcement yet.

Duncan pickup booster likes / dislikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan pickup booster likes / dislikes?

I just bought the duncan pickup booster and have only tired it at home on my pod. I will have to wait before trying it on my amp as I dont have acces to it right now. Does it change tone or by adding gain does it feedback more. Any other observations? It doesnt seem to make alot of difference with the pod? I will be using it with a c5 on my goldtop and a 498t in my studio les paul.
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Re: Duncan pickup booster likes / dislikes?

ive been using one for a week or two live, works nice. ive been running it as follows.

guitar-tuner-sd booster-overdrive-reverb-bassman

as its been working great, killer tone. clean, uncolored boost

Comment

I'm a big fan of this magical little box. It just like adding gain on the amp so it CAN make feedback easier but not always. I run my amp hard and then slam it hard with my booster. Gives me more grit and chunk.
      My ONLY beef with the pedal is I pickup AM stations sometimes. I read that they fixed this problem but I don't know for certain. Either way it's nothing that that copper tape can't fix. I just haven't got around to it.
      But this little baby is the only thing between the guitar and the amp and honestly. Of course I have to turn it off to clean up the signal or turn the volume almost off.
      The only competitors I know of are the Fulltone fat boost and Klon Centaur. I've only had experience with the Centaur and it was fantastic but out of my price range right now.

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I heard they didn't work well with humbuckers. Any truth to that?
        Watch My Videos
        Photography
        www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
        "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

It works fine with humbuckers. But the Resonance Switch is optimized for single coils. We recommend that it's first in the signal chain after the guitar for the Resonance Switch to work. Just curious, Jeremy, does it work for you having it after the tuner?
          Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
          Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

I bought an MXR Micro Amp from a forum member here and it works great adding a clean gain boost. Is this the same idea with the SD booster? What if anything is different between the two units?

Comment

Love mine, esp with non master heads. I don't like the resonance personally, I think it adds too much to single coil pickups on the bottom end, I would prefer much more subtle low frequencies. What I like the most is that it does not change the tone at all ( no res switch engaged). I tried the MXR micro amp and their compressors too and they just add too much high end bite to the signal. For the bucks these are really hard to beat. Amazing range of boost.
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
              http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

better before or after a dirtbox?...I would assume that if placed before a dirtbox it would just slam the box harder for more grit while the dirtbox still controled the overall output, while if it were placed after a dirtbox it would just make that dirty tone louder/puncher...is that right?
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

i use it after the tuner just cause i put everything after the tuner.

when i turn the tuner on, it bypasses the rest of the stuff so i can tune silently. the booster works great, there are a couple tunes where i leave it on the whole time and just roll back the guitars volume.

Comment

Its a cool booster but I did not like having the minimum gain being at 6db I was using it as a solo booster at the end of my pedal chain so depending on how loud your playing 6db minimum boost can still be much to loud for a solo.

I use a Barber Launch Pad which can go from unity gain up to around 25db!

Comment

Originally posted by J.LaGrassa
                      Its a cool booster but I did not like having the minimum gain being at 6db I was using it as a solo booster at the end of my pedal chain so depending on how loud your playing 6db minimum boost can still be much to loud for a solo.

I use a Barber Launch Pad which can go from unity gain up to around 25db!
                      Ya i experienced this problem with my Crybaby 535q. When the boost is at minimum it boosts up slightly over the stock sound.

I really like the idea of a clean boost for the solo. I go to the hard rock cafe jam every wednesday here in Toronto, and sometimes the guitar just doesn't cut through properly for the solo on some classic tunes. (AC/DC, Deep Purple, etc.). The sound guys with all their computers have to boost keyboard, guitar(s) indvidually for each solo (I THINK...). This pedal sounds like a solution to the problem.

What about the RC Booster and AC Booster? I saw all these promotional videos by Scott Henderson and 10 other musicians endorsing them.

You can check them out here:

The videos can be checked out here:

Give me some feedback on this - because i'm looking into getting both pedals , or maybe all 3 :P !
                      my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                      A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Originally posted by Frantic_Rock
                        Ya i experienced this problem with my Crybaby 535q. When the boost is at minimum it boosts up slightly over the stock sound.

I really like the idea of a clean boost for the solo. I go to the hard rock cafe jam every wednesday here in Toronto, and sometimes the guitar just doesn't cut through properly for the solo on some classic tunes. (AC/DC, Deep Purple, etc.). The sound guys with all their computers have to boost keyboard, guitar(s) indvidually for each solo (I THINK...). This pedal sounds like a solution to the problem.

What about the RC Booster and AC Booster? I saw all these promotional videos by Scott Henderson and 10 other musicians endorsing them.

You can check them out here:

The videos can be checked out here:

Give me some feedback on this - because i'm looking into getting both pedals , or maybe all 3 :P !
                        For a clean boost i hear the RC boost is great because you can add or take away bass and Treble or add a touch of grit if you want. I use the Barber Launch Pad which is a great clean boost doesnt color your tone at all, True Bypass and is a lot cheaper than the RC Boost............. I do want to check out the RC boost my self!

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
                          I just bought the duncan pickup booster and have only tired it at home on my pod. . . . . Any other observations? It doesnt seem to make alot of difference with the pod? I will be using it with a c5 on my goldtop and a 498t in my studio les paul.
                          I'm like you, in that I use mine with a J-Station. I keep the "Gain" control all the way down and just use the "resonance" switch. To me, it gives every pup I have, single or HB, two more sounds.

I love it.

Comment

I like the clean boost and the resonance switch really does make my tele single coil pickup sound like a humbucker.
                            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Working...
                            X