Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rail neck with Alnico V magnet

Hi Guys,
    Im new here and i want to know if someone has proved a Hot Rail neck with Alnico V magnet,and if not,What do you think of this idea?,can the alnico v make that the hot rail neck be even a better smooth lead distortion pickup?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Shredeathminator; 10-05-2004, 08:11 PM.

Re: Hot Rail neck with Alnico V magnet

Alnico bar magnets can not be made in the dimensions required for a single-coil sized humbucker, hence the use of ceramic magnets.
    This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
      Alnico bar magnets can not be made in the dimensions required for a single-coil sized humbucker, hence the use of ceramic magnets.
      That's what YOU think...

Comment

MJ, has done them!!! I have not tried one...yet!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Yes, i know that is posible
          But,how it sounds!!!?

Comment

I never understood why this wasn't done a long time ago. Alnico 5 is many people's favorite magnet, yet all those rail pickups have Ceramics. I don't like the rails in the bridge positions, but I like them in the neck. An A-5 rail in a strat's bridge might be much better, because it was the honky compressed mids that bothered me with the ceramics.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i'm kinda worried the hotrail will sound muddy with the A5.

and imo, that was the final touch on the lil59's and the JBJr's the ceramic magnet wasnt for em. maybe now they'll sound more like their big brothers

Comment

So, do you think that the alnico v will make more mids/bass(muddy) in the neck hot rails?

Comment

Originally posted by B2D

Doh! I swear I read something about Alnico bar magnets requiring a minimum ratio of dimensions, which in turn limited their size and power, leaving ceramic to fill the bill for the sc-sized humbuckers...but now that I think about it, all of my bar magnets are narrower than a single-coil pickup, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

that's what I get for being Mr. Smarypants
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Well hey i thought the same thing up until a few days ago... MJ works her magic and breaks the rules again!

Comment

so what do they sound like? i want to hear from someone that has tried them.

i always wanted to try a rails pickup, but i don't like ceramic magnets in my pickups.
                      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I asked this a while ago as I wanted to remove the magnet in my JB JR and cut an a5 to fit. Even if it wasn't the exact size needed to fit you could stack multiple a5's to the rails themselves. I just didn't know the best way to remove the ceramic in there now as it appears glued or epoxied.

Comment

Well,
                          I think that i`m going to tried one at the custom shop

Comment

very cool, until mj's post it was my understanding that you couldnt use alnico magnets cause you couldnt get em small enough. i wonder if they are using bigger magnets or some how got the small magnets to work???

Comment

Working...
                            X