Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another JB/C5 Thread

Hey guys,

Sorry for making another C5/Jb thread. I know there have been thousands of these, but I just got a LP. So, I decided out of all the SD's one of these would be my ticket.

Of course, It's mahagony body/neck, maple cap, with a rosewood FB. I've always heard that a JB can't go wrong in a LP. But I've also heard the C5 is a match made in heaven with a Les Paul.

I'm def a classic rock kinda of guy. But I love 80's metal too. I feel that the burstbuckers that are in here now, are just kinda stale! The bridge is weak and thin, and I have to PUMP it full of gain to even get a slight response! Yeah. It sounds really REALLY old school LP. Which isn't bad..

Tell me the pickup I'm describing.. I'd love to have crunchy riffs. Cuz I love mids! Followed by a very singing and very melodic lead tone! Well anyway.. Just see what you can make up by that! All those LP guys.. Drop in here and help me out! Joneser! You love C5's right? Tell me WHY!

Cory
    '03 Gibson LP Premium Plus (FS/Stock)
    '02 MIM Fender Strat (C5/Stock/Stock)
    '03 5150 Combo
    MXR Phase 90

Re: Another JB/C5 Thread

The C-5 is great but if want the singing mids I would say the JB would be better. I also find the Rio Grande BBQ another great pickup in that it has the fat bass of the C-5 with very warm mids, and smooth highs. This is an incredible pickup. You could also look into the Custom but I just don't care for the tone of ceramic loaded pickups.

Comment

PG/C5 combo would open up your Paul in a big way. Or if you like PAF type pickups all around, the PG set and a LP are a match made in heaven.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

You could also look into the Gibson Burstbucker Pros as they are great pickups!! I use these now.

Also, the C-5, I should have mentioned is also a great pickup....I had that in my Paul for a while.

Comment

While I like C5's, I have a feeling you might like a Custom or CC more. I like C-5's because they're very neutral sounding but have tight bass. I go between a lot of cleans, midgain, and superhighgain, and play across a couple different styles, so the C-5 suits me and all my amps. If you think the Burstbuckers are weak, I'd suggest stepping up to something that will hit your amp harder. The C-5 does, but it's not rich in mids like the low mids of the CC, the highmids of the JB, and the mondo crunch of the Custom. I've got a CC/Seth in one of my main Pauls, and it's a warmer sounding guitar, but less sparkly and articulate on clean and midgain as my C-5/59 guitars. However, the CC definitely has great tone and growl. I'd suggest getting a CC, Custom, or C-5 instead of the JB.....then, if for some reason you're not satisfied, another member will gladly trade, or you can use Duncan's return policy. Or, if you're experienced in pulling pickups apart, you could change the magnet, since all the Customs have the same wind, just different magnets.
          Right now, I'm gaining a collection of ALL the Customs, to really hear thier differences.
          So far I have a Custom, CC, C-4, C-5, JB, and soon I'll have my new A3 magnet in a Custom 3 bridge. I may spend a few days swapping them and recording them with my honeyflame LP Std. Prem plus and my Bogner. It'll be very interesting to note the very subtle differences between A-2/3/4/5
          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-06-2004, 01:22 PM.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Comments on the alnico 4 magnet? I like the c5 but it needs more mids and the highs are kinda thin
            My bands links:

PEDL
            www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
            www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
            www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I tried an A4, and it sounded harsh in my formerly-C5. I found the C5 lacked mids in my Warmoth VIP, so I made it into a CC by switching out the A2 magnet. That sounded a lot better, but I wish it had more bass and was a little more articulate. So, I switched out the A2 for an A3, which gave it a tad more bass and treble and a tad less mids. It's a toss-up right now between the A3 and A2. If ceramic magnets were easier to come by, I would try changing it to a Custom, which sounds wonderful in my Warmoth strat. Right now, I'm contemplating switching out the Custom 3 for a Blues Saraceno, and seeing how that sounds. The Blues has more mids than the C5, but still has plenty of bass and harmonics (but the high notes don't seem to be as shrill). Unfortunately, I broke one of the coils of the one I do have before I could try it in the VIP.

I would suggest trying the Custom first. My hunch is that you might really like it. If you don't, it's easier to get an A2 or A5 magnet than a ceramic magnet. Torres Engineering has A2 and A5's for sale:

Alternatively, if you get the Custom and you don't like it, you could contact me in about a month, and I could send you an A2, A3,A4, and/or A5. If you decide you like one of those better than the ceramic Custom, I'd be happy to take the ceramic magnet off of your hands.

Actually, does anyone have a spare ceramic they'd be willing to sell me?
              This machine kills fascists

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys! The only thing about the Custom that scares me is the Ceramic! But, I hear that it doesn't make it that harsh. It's just aggressive.. I just wouldn't want it to be like a 500T.. Way too harsh! Anyone have some input on the custom?

Cory
                '03 5150 Combo
                MXR Phase 90

Comment

Nah, the Custom isn't harsh at all (now, the C4 was harsh!). What I like about it, compare to the C5, is that the high notes sound thick, yet harmonically rich, unlike the thin sound of the C5 and JB. I also like that it has more bass, more harmonics, and less mids than the CC. I say try the Custom: you can always swap out the ceramic magnet for an A2 or A5.

Of the bridge humbuckers I've tried, the Custom is my favorite. 2nd is a Blues/59 hybrid I made, and 3rd is the Blues Trembucker. The CC is cool, and I appreciate it, but it's not as versatile.

Also, while you're at it, why not add a push-pull pot so you can switch between serial and parallel mode. I have that on all of my guitars, and love the versatility. Just when you think you're hot humbucker is a little too thick and hot for your needs, throw the switch, and you have a thinner, lower output, humbucker that is closer to a PAF.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

I have not tried the custom but am curious about it as well as the alnico 3 magnet. I have a c5 and have the same complaints about it although I like the open airy quality and the bass. Can the alnico 3 accomplish this? I have a classic that came with paf 57s and I am interested in trades for either a 500t/custom/alnico 3 magnet for trembucker. I also may have a 59 neck (new) The blues is my second favorite at the moment.
                    My bands links:

PEDL
                    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I had the C3 in my Strat.. It was very harshing.. IT had like an obnoxious mid harshness. It's kind of hard to explain. It seems like a really tight, but not rich bass. Well, to say the least, I hated it. Switched it for an A5. Sounds great. Still not enough mids, but I gave up on the strat. That's why I got a LP, and now I'm going through the same situation!

I think I'm gonna go for the Custom! How much would a Nickel Covered Custom cost me? What's the best place to buy?

Cory
                      '03 5150 Combo
                      MXR Phase 90

Comment

I say dont go for the c5 , specially if u dont want a thin sounding pickup in the bridge, the custom is great is not to harsh but actually quite smooth unda gain and cuts through very well. Just cos its cermaic dosnt mean u lose tone, try and u will c,
                        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                        Blackstar HT-5
                        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Working...
                        X