banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will a dimarzio tone zone s match with invader?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a dimarzio tone zone s match with invader?

I'm changing the pickups for my guitar and i was wondering if i put a Dimarzio Tone Zone S at the neck position and an Invader at the bridge position, will they match?

Re: will a dimarzio tone zone s match with invader?

Originally posted by Poseidon69
    I'm changing the pickups for my guitar and i was wondering if i put a Dimarzio Tone Zone S at the neck position and an Invader at the bridge position, will they match?
    A DiMarzio Tone Zone will be a disaster in the neck. That pickup already is plagued with a certain distorted tone that you can't get rid of and muddy-ness that you can't dial out.

If you were a metal player and you ONLY wanted to play with crunchy distortion all the time, then MAYBE the Tone Zone could be your bridge pickup.

But at the neck, it is WAAAY too much. It will over power almost every bridge pickup you will put in there. There will be FAR too much bass and not NEARLY enough clarity.

You need a lesser powered, more trebly pickup in the neck position to make up for the difference in string vibration there (there is much more natural bass and far less treble in the neck position). You need to work with that or else you will have severe balance problems when switching between pickups.

If you are going for an invader I assume you want a metal crunchy sort of tone at the bridge. What sort of tone are you looking for at the neck?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
    buggjuice.net
    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

that is not true........

1. i think he's thinking bout the single coil version which isn't a bad idea....i myself had no experience with them but they should sound pretty articulate and thick. it should balance out with the invader nicely....

2. even with the regular tonezone humbucker in the neck it wouln't sound muddy......check out paul gilbert......

3. for some reason the tonezone sounds muddy and disgusting with thicker gauge strings.......i switch to 8s and it's the best tone i've ever heard......

just had to get that out....the tonezone is a killer pup......just have to have everything set right.....pup height, amp eq, string gauge, type of pick.....i know that probably sound stupid but every little thing affects your tone! ! !
      Guitars:
      87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
      86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
      87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
      Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
      Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
      Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

Tone Zone S™ DP189

The Tone Zone S™ brings the performance of the famous Tone Zone® to a humbucking Strat® replacement-size pickup. We’ve built in the tremendous mid-range and bass response of the original Tone Zone®, and the same patented dual-resonance design produces great harmonics. It has four-conductor wiring for parallel humbucking and split-coil modes, and makes a great bridge position combination with the Pro Track™, Chopper™ and Fast Track 1™.

Recommended For:

Bridge position, solid body guitars. Neck position when a very warm jazz guitar sound is required.

Tech Talk:

If you compare the specs of the full-size Tone Zone® with those of the Tone Zone S™, you will notice they don’t match. That ‘s because the trick in building a single-coil size pickup to sound like its big brother is to go for the sound rather than the numbers. We also took into account the likelihood that the Tone Zone S™ will be installed in the classic slanted Strat® bridge position, so we warmed up the higher frequencies and brightened the low notes a little to compensate.

Specifications:

Wiring Standard four conductor
        Magnet Ceramic
        Output 300 mV
        DC Resistance 12.39K
        Year of introduction 2003
        Patent # 4,501,185

it will be very warm and buttery in the neck but will balance with a invader output wise,it is at 300MV making it the same as a paf pro full size bucker

Comment

Originally posted by Mac-P
          A DiMarzio Tone Zone will be a disaster in the neck. That pickup already is plagued with a certain distorted tone that you can't get rid of and muddy-ness that you can't dial out.

If you were a metal player and you ONLY wanted to play with crunchy distortion all the time, then MAYBE the Tone Zone could be your bridge pickup.

But at the neck, it is WAAAY too much. It will over power almost every bridge pickup you will put in there. There will be FAR too much bass and not NEARLY enough clarity.

You need a lesser powered, more trebly pickup in the neck position to make up for the difference in string vibration there (there is much more natural bass and far less treble in the neck position). You need to work with that or else you will have severe balance problems when switching between pickups.

If you are going for an invader I assume you want a metal crunchy sort of tone at the bridge. What sort of tone are you looking for at the neck?
          tell that to this guy!

Comment

Well, I haven't heard that guy's tone!

And I was talking agbout a fullsized Tone Zone bucker. I have never tried the single.

Keep in mind, I am not a metal player and my taste may not be yours. I have never cared for Paul Gilbert's tone.

If someone is using 8 guage strings, then they are not producing a lot of natural string vibration and power. Maybe a Tone Zone is what you need to get some "ooomph" in there.

For my taste, and to my ears:

1) Thicker strings (.010's or .011's)
            2) on a good high quality guitar
            3) with clear, balanced pickups that are just powerful enough for your taste and needs
            4) through a minimal amount of high quality effects (effects with true bypass are even better and you can use more of them)
            5) with good high quality cables
            6) into a good tube amp....

will produce good tone.

I found the Tone Zone covered up WAY more sound than it enhanced.

Just my two cents, and only my opinion. I certainly don;t mean to offend or criticize anyone's taste!

Peace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
            buggjuice.net
            MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

the tz doesn't really color anything and is highly affected by the way you eq it.......you can get some natural woody tones with this pup......i don't know what kinda of tone you're looking for but if you play, shred, 80's metal, thrash, light distorted stuff, than the tonezone is for you.....imo, high gain really sounds crappy with it! ! !
              Guitars:
              87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:

Comment

well i'm talking bt the tone zone S, single coil humbucker, i'm hoping can get a warm and vintage sound at the neck in contrast with the invader at the bridge. but one of my friend told me that with both on the guitar will sounds too hot. what do u guys think?

Comment

i think it would sound like a high output vintage pup......
                  Guitars:

Amp:

Comment

Originally posted by Poseidon69
                    well i'm talking bt the tone zone S, single coil humbucker, i'm hoping can get a warm and vintage sound at the neck in contrast with the invader at the bridge. but one of my friend told me that with both on the guitar will sounds too hot. what do u guys think?
                    I'd do a lil 59 in the neck for a more 'vintage' tone. It's pretty smooth. If vintage isn't really necessarily what you need, why not a hot rail in the neck. It should balance with the invader... Too hot is subjective. If you're a shredder, the rail is nice in the neck because I find it articulate (this is my opinion; your mileage may vary) but still warm sounding.

Farkus
                    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
                    X