What pups can perform this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pups can perform this?

Think H/H set-up, mahogany body, set maple neck, maple top, rosewood fretboard, 24.75" scale, string thru:

OR

H/H set-up, alder body, bolt on maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 25.5" scale, Floyd:

Requirements:

Neck - for leads

1. CREAMY - I want super smooth

2. SUSTAIN - notes have to last forever....forever....forever

3. LEGATO - high enough output that I don't ever have to pick a note and there's no real volume dropoff (my Hot Rails does it, what about a full sized HB?)

Bridge - for rhythms

1. HARMONICS - this thing has to scream with harmonics, artificial harmonics jump out like the boogeyman.

2. MIDS - I boost the mids like crazy, highs irritate me and too much bass makes for a good amount of mud.

3. ARTICULATION - I do a lot of super fast alternate picking for my rhythms and I need something that won't break up or slur together.

Now, my personal favorite in the bridge is the Duncan Distortion. What is the general concensus on that for a bridge pickup? I'm leaning towards it. How about the neck? I'm thinking another Distortion but I've never tried it in the neck. These pickups will be installed in one or both of these guitar set-ups. All opinions are welcome and will be considered.

Thank you.

Travis
    Last edited by Travis; 10-07-2004, 07:03 PM.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Re: What pups can perform this?

lots of people will disagree with me, but...
    I would put a Distortion in the neck abd either a Distortio or an invader in the bridge...This is bar far not the smoothest neck pup you could get but...It fits everything elso you talked about very well. I tend to use more vintage voiced pups...I do however have a Strat style axe wqith a single Duncan Distortion in it...that thing kills...it's like setting your dirtbox for stun...killer bottom and nice harmonics!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Anyone else?
      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Think H/H set-up, mahogany body, set maple neck, maple top, rosewood fretboard, 24.75" scale, string thru:

Requirements:

Neck - for leads

3. LEGATO - high enough output that I don't ever have to pick a note and there's no real volume dropoff (my Hot Rails does it, what about a full sized HB?)
        ---------------------------------------
        Pearly Gates - about as smooth as they come without a real loss of clarity. ..I haven't had any problems with a volume drop-off when switch from a hot bridge pup to the PG.

Bridge - for rhythms

1. HARMONICS - this thing has to scream with harmonics, artificial harmonics jump out like the boogeyman.

2. MIDS - I boost the mids like crazy, highs irritate me and too much bass makes for a good amount of mud.

3. ARTICULATION - I do a lot of super fast alternate picking for my rhythms and I need something that won't break up or slur together.
        ---------------------------------------
        Duncan Distortion - It can be kinda bright in the wrong guitar or with 500k+ pots in some guitars. ...Though, in my Gibsons(SG w/500k pots & my LP with 250k pots), it does exactly what you've descirbed, imo.
        A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
        This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

For a brighter sound, go with a Pearly Gates in the neck. For a warmer sound, go with an Alnico 2 Pro. If you want a little more output, get a bridge model and put it in the neck spot. For the bridge, I would actually recommend a Rio Grande BBQ. Your description matches it almost perfectly. It does have a fair amount of bass, but still less than a Duncan C5, and it doesn't sound muddy at all. It is medium output, with lots of harmonics, boosted mids, and a softer treble response.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I'm thinkin' an A2P neck with a CC bridge.

Comment

i think a jb in the neck with a distortion bridge is a great option for you.

the jb is all about this:
              3. LEGATO - high enough output that I don't ever have to pick a note and there's no real volume dropoff

high output smooth fat tone

Comment

See, I hated the JB in the bridge. The upper mids always made it seem shrill to my ears. By putting it in the neck, will this tame the beast? I do have a TB4 in the bridge of my Hamer Diablo I could put in the neck with a Distortion in the bridge....

Comment

Working...
                X