Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dd vs. custom custom

a few questions about a CC before I abandon the distortion-
    Would notes sound more "defined" with the custom custom- In other words, would I be able to distinguish every note in a chord better, with distortion? (This is something I'm very picky about- all (both- including the DD and Dimebag) of the pickups I have tried haven't lived up to my standards on this issue. the notes seem mushed together. Or is it just something about the basswood? My notes always sound undistinguished in a chord with the dd and the dimebag in my schecter.

The tone chart notes it has less output... with a Line6 spiderI amp (like I have) would it still do fine for really heavy metal stuff? (I don't use any pedals, just straight into the recto (usually) setting.

would it sound "rounder" than a dd?
    does it have a nice palm mute chunk?
    As a side note, I'm trying to achieve a stone temple pilots kind of sound right now... doesn't seem possible with the DD, too trebly, not delicate enough. would the custom custom be a suitable replacement?

anything else I should know?
    dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Re: dd vs. custom custom

I also have a line 6 amp and get a lot of distortion, even with single-coils!
    The Custom Custom has a thicker, rounder and smoother sound than the Distortion, but is not so clear.
    For palm mutes the CC might be too "soft", the Distrotion has more attack.
    Pickups... the final frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
    Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by Inge Malmstein
      I also have a line 6 amp and get a lot of distortion, even with single-coils!
      The Custom Custom has a thicker, rounder and smoother sound than the Distortion, but is not so clear.
      For palm mutes the CC might be too "soft", the Distrotion has more attack.
      +1

Ced777

Comment

I wouldn't go with the CC if I were you, you seem to play a lot of Metal. The CC can do Metal fine, but it isn't really meant for that sorta thing, meaning if you were playing AC/DC or old school Van Halen it'd hit the nail right on the head. Try the Custom, it does Metal perfectly, it doesn't mush up the notes and is fairly articulate, notes shine through the palm mutes which also sound chunky by the way.
        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Sounds like you'd like a custom, sounds very clear and has nice bass for palm mutes
          My clips

Originally posted by Rid
          How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I like the CC in my bright strat, to make the tone warmer and fatter.
            It depends on the guitar, on other the CC sounds too fat and too midy.
            On some guitars the DD sounds very raw/aggressive, but has still some clarity, which is also useful for clean sounds. But sometimes i find the DD too cold and too mid-focused.
            Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Originally posted by danglybanger
              a few questions about a CC before I abandon the distortion-
              Would notes sound more "defined" with the custom custom- In other words, would I be able to distinguish every note in a chord better, with distortion? (This is something I'm very picky about- all (both- including the DD and Dimebag) of the pickups I have tried haven't lived up to my standards on this issue. the notes seem mushed together. Or is it just something about the basswood? My notes always sound undistinguished in a chord with the dd and the dimebag in my schecter.

The tone chart notes it has less output... with a Line6 spiderI amp (like I have) would it still do fine for really heavy metal stuff? (I don't use any pedals, just straight into the recto (usually) setting.

would it sound "rounder" than a dd?
              does it have a nice palm mute chunk?
              As a side note, I'm trying to achieve a stone temple pilots kind of sound right now... doesn't seem possible with the DD, too trebly, not delicate enough. would the custom custom be a suitable replacement?

anything else I should know?
              dan
              ..I would NOT suggest the Custom Custom over the Distortion to un-mushify your string articulation. ...High output pups can sometimes slur notes & totally lose the natural tones from a guitar's wood, in the wrong amp. ..I'd suggest a lower-output pup like a 59, Jazz or the Screamin' Demon(I haven't try it but I've heard samples from other members. ..Ask around) & re-tweek your EQ(add mids) you'll have to turn up your Drive knob a bit. ..In your situation, I'd stay away from most pups with an Alnico II magnet, for clarity.
              Last edited by Russ; 10-10-2004, 03:11 AM.
              A link to the VERY LIMITED (Ladies) OPETH G-String!! ..Act Now!!!:bigthumb:
              This black g-string underwear has the famous "O" logo that Opeth has been using for some time now. The logo is silk screened onto the g-string and looks very sharp in yellow against the black field. ..These are a one-size-fits-most.

Comment

I already had the same problem in another guitar. I took out the DD and put in a '59!!!!!
                Which has a more open tone and is still fat, has also bite and is a bit agressive.
                I also tried the Demon, which has slightly more output (only a lil' bit more), but less bite and a bit more highs.

Comment

Without having done one ounce of research, and just going by my ear, and my own trials & tribulations 10 years ago, when I was playing STP's "Plush", I'd still confidently say this:

Low to Medium output is what you want for STP. I always thought it was my amp that was the problem with "Plush", but years later, I realize it was my high output pickup that was gumming-up the chords. His notes (within the chords) ring clearly....absolutely clearly.

I think a '59 is in order here, or even the Blues Trembucker if you need clarity with a bit more "oomph".

Comment

The only other high output pickup id suggest is a custom, which is articulate and clear under distortion (whereas the CC would definetly be a lot more mushy).

Or else I recomend a lower ouptut pup, The screamin demon has a lot of highs which i found to peircing but not chunky enough unless your guitar is already big sounding in the bridge pos. So id say any of the Alncio 5 pups in the bridge.
                    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                    Blackstar HT-5
                    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by Majestic
                      Without having done one ounce of research, and just going by my ear, and my own trials & tribulations 10 years ago, when I was playing STP's "Plush", I'd still confidently say this:

Low to Medium output is what you want for STP. I always thought it was my amp that was the problem with "Plush", but years later, I realize it was my high output pickup that was gumming-up the chords. His notes (within the chords) ring clearly....absolutely clearly.

I think a '59 is in order here, or even the Blues Trembucker if you need clarity with a bit more "oomph".
                      you read my mind... I try to play plush or interstate love song, it sounds like SH!T!!! but I'd still like to play heavier metal (and hopefully shred, if I can manage to get good enough ), so... I might have some experimenting to do between a custom and a 59.
                      thanks,
                      dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Working...
                      X