Soldering Not working - please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering Not working - please help!

I'm making my first soldering attempt putting SEth Lovers in my Les Paul Standard.
    I've read about what to do but although I have desoldered the connections and taken the old pickups out, and got the new pickups in, its now going all wrong!

I'm using a 40 watt iron and lead free silver solder 1mm thick.

1. I've tried tinning the iron ( which is brand new) but nothing seems to stick to it. The solder just rolls off in a ball or snaps off in a short length.

2. When trying to put the braid wire back on the back of the pot should I remove all the previous solder on the back of the pot or just melt it and try and reattach the braid to it? I seem to be able to heat it up enough to get it off the back of the pot if I want. Equally, I can make it flow but can't get the braid wire to stick to it.
    This previous solder on the back of the pot seems to harden within less than a second, even after flowing nicely when heated up

What should I do?

3. Should I try and attach the other connections first which are much smaller in area and then ry and do the earth connection?

Re: Soldering Not working - please help!

First of all, I admire your attempt to transition to a lead-free alternative. I use lead-free myself, because it is the way of the future. Unfortunately, it takes A LOT of practice to work with, and the silver isn't helping you any. I HIGHLY recommend getting a new tip if your tip is old to work with lead-free solder. 40 watts should be enough, if you learn to work it properly. Remember to tin everything.

Comment

ur not letting the soldering iron get hot enough let it by itself like 10 minutes then try to solder again you will see , i had that problem my first time
      Schecter C1 silver top, cream body binding , black hardware, loaded with EMG 81/81
      Epi Les paul honeyburst, loaded with Seymour Duncan DD (b) 59 (n)
      Ibanez Iceman ic300 , Stock pickups
      Yamaha Pacifica , stock
      epiphone acoustic
      marshall combo
      cry baby wah
      monster cables

Comment

thanks for your responses. I've managed to do it!

Comment

Working...
        X