"Scooped" Mids: Hu-whaaat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Scooped" Mids: Hu-whaaat?

Mmmmkay. Simple question. What does this mean? "Scooped" mids? Does this mean NO mids at all? And if so, why does everyone keep telling me the Super3 has mids on heroin, yet on the Dimarzio site on the description it says "great for playing scooped mid metal riffs". I want mids in my pup. ALOT. I want my sound to be completely controlled by mids...and well....highs too for leads and schtuff. People keep telling me the Dime is good for this, but yet again on the description it says "great for scooped mid riffs" So, I'm leaning towards the DD or possibly even an 81....not sure. But if the Dime DOES have mids, then I might go for that, cuz anything with dimebag's name attached to it must be worth something....
    :firing: :cop:

:headbang:

Re: "Scooped" Mids: Hu-whaaat?

There's another thread on this very subject.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=18293

Comment

Scooped mids just means lack of mids in one form or another. THis could either be the way the pickup is EQ'd or even how your amp is dialed in. What Dimarzio is saying is that the Super3 has tons of mids so if you want to scoop the mids on your amp, you can do so and still have some mids left over for the most part. And this would also depend on where the mids on your amp lay too.

Comment

I would venture a guess that they have a strong midrange in the pickup to counteract the scooping that goes on in the EQ.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Leaf_Sabbath
          Mmmmkay. Simple question. What does this mean? "Scooped" mids? Does this mean NO mids at all? And if so, why does everyone keep telling me the Super3 has mids on heroin, yet on the Dimarzio site on the description it says "great for playing scooped mid metal riffs". I want mids in my pup. ALOT. I want my sound to be completely controlled by mids...and well....highs too for leads and schtuff. People keep telling me the Dime is good for this, but yet again on the description it says "great for scooped mid riffs" So, I'm leaning towards the DD or possibly even an 81....not sure. But if the Dime DOES have mids, then I might go for that, cuz anything with dimebag's name attached to it must be worth something....
          If you want a mid heavy sound don't buy an EMG 81 as it has no mids. I can't comment on the DD as I have only played one for about 20 minutes. I would say a Custom would be a good bet for you as it will do almost any rock sound from 70's to 90's, it would probably do the heavier modern metal sounds as well but I have no experience playing that style. If you want a lot of mids and do not need a lot of low end the Custom Custom is also an option, it does have a compressed sound under heavy gain though.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp
            If you want a mid heavy sound don't buy an EMG 81 as it has no mids.
            (Walks over to amp with puzzled look on face. Plays guitar for a minute)

Yup, mids are still there. Not sure what 81 you were using....
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Speakers are very important to good midrange response. Sometimes the pickups get blamed in vain
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

It's all gotta be an equation between the guitar's natural midrange characteristic, the pickup's mids, the amp's mids, and the frequency graph of your speaker.
                That's why people ask what your guitar, amp, and music style is, before advising you on pickups. Personally, I like Alnico 5 magnets on almost all my pickups, because they have big tight lows, neutral mids, and present highs. That way, my mids are all dictated by the guitar and amp. When I use Alnico II pickups, they sound bulkier in the mids, but lose clarity, since it clouds the lows and highs more than I'd like.
                I hate the word scooped, because that's more of a function of your amp, not your pickup. On pickups, the better word would be 'neutral'. Because, with a pickup with neutral mids, the only way to "scoop" the tone would be to turn your mids down below 4.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                  It's all gotta be an equation between the guitar's natural midrange characteristic, the pickup's mids, the amp's mids, and the frequency graph of your speaker.
                  That's why people ask what your guitar, amp, and music style is, before advising you on pickups. Personally, I like Alnico 5 magnets on almost all my pickups, because they have big tight lows, neutral mids, and present highs. That way, my mids are all dictated by the guitar and amp. When I use Alnico II pickups, they sound bulkier in the mids, but lose clarity, since it clouds the lows and highs more than I'd like.
                  I hate the word scooped, because that's more of a function of your amp, not your pickup. On pickups, the better word would be 'neutral'. Because, with a pickup with neutral mids, the only way to "scoop" the tone would be to turn your mids down below 4.
                  Right on , i totally agree
                  PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
                  1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
                  Blackstar HT-5
                  2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
                  Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp
                    If you want a mid heavy sound don't buy an EMG 81 as it has no mids.
                    The EMG 81 has plenty of mids. It's the EMG 85 that is the scooped one.

For what it's worth I hate both of them..... but I hate the 85 MUCH more.....
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                    buggjuice.net
                    MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X