"Airy" neck pickup for Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Airy" neck pickup for Les Paul

Is there anything that has the Airy sound of Dimarzio air-series (Air Classic, Air Zone, Air Norton) and is suitable on Les Pauls neck position without getting too muddy?

Or am I just playing wrong type of guitar? I really dont like Ibanez-style guitars at all...

Re: "Airy" neck pickup for Les Paul

i think a seth, a 59 or any other PAF style pickup will give you what you are looking for in the neck of a paul, but the first pickup that came to my mind when you said airy was an antiquity neck. I have heard it describes that way many times.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

id say the antiquity neck is a great choice, and if you keep the pup low (any pup) itll have more of that airy sound

Comment

i want to say that the reason they are called air norton and air zone is that there is a little piece of wood separating the coils which puts air in between the coils. I am not sure it has anything to do with the airiness of the sound, but i am not up on the current state of dimarzio pickup designs, so i could just be talking out my butt
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Air Norton seems to be your thing my friend. Sounds warm and bell like in the neck spot, maybe even better clean ups than the '59. It does sound incredibly modern though, nice harmonics, huge picking attack and low output power chords. Never heard this thing get muddy

The clear neck pick ups in the Duncan line are: The Seth and the Alnico II Pro. These are more vintage voiced pick ups, which sound a bit fat but stay articulate and sing. The '59 always gets muddy on me in a Les Paul, it cleans up beautifully though.
          Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
          Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
          Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
          Marshall 2x12 Vintage
          Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

What do you guys mean by "airy?"
            I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
            -Britney Spears

Comment

Dimarzio's design to leave space inbetween the magnet and coil or whatever it is they do with a spacer is adds an airy open sound to their pickups. I've got an airzone in the bridge and a virtual PAF in the neck which sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ankalar
                What do you guys mean by "airy?"

I take it to mean open, not dense. Where the sound is lush and you can hear every part of your guitar working, pickup, strings, AND wood.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
                  i want to say that the reason they are called air norton and air zone is that there is a little piece of wood separating the coils which puts air in between the coils.
                  You're thinking Gretsch Filtertrons, my friend.
                  ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

u sure? someone on here said there is plastic or something acting as a spacer...anyways, I've got them in my mohagany SZ and I love em.

Comment

i thought that the "air" design of the dimarzios were designed to give less string pull thus giving it a more vintage tone.

Comment

thats part of it...so you can put that pickup closer to the strings if you want more "tone" or bass response but it won't affect the strings as much as some pickup magnets would. I belive my virtual PAF has something that distances the magnet making the magnet of an alnico 5 seem more like a 2 thus giving it that vintage tone...and it does sound very vintage gibsonish. Think Warren Haynes.

Comment

Why not just use slightly heavier strings and an actual A2 magnet?

Comment

maybe people still want to use 9s? i don't know.
                            I've got 11s on mine and the pickups are a little under 3/32nds...It's just a different design for a more open sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ZxCv
                              Is there anything that has the Airy sound of Dimarzio air-series (Air Classic, Air Zone, Air Norton) and is suitable on Les Pauls neck position without getting too muddy?

Or am I just playing wrong type of guitar? I really dont like Ibanez-style guitars at all...

My vote goes to the Antiquity. Have a set in my LP Std. and I love 'em. Warm, articulate & "airy" if you will. Very open sounding pups. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Working...
                              X