The Custom with allen pole-pieces?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Custom with allen pole-pieces?!?!

I read a thread here about changing the flat-headed screws of the pickup for allens and the reverse for tightening or loosening the sound.
    Have anyone tryed the Custom with allen screws?
    How would it sound? Will be any deference?
    Me(n)tal Distortion

Re: The Custom with allen pole-pieces?!?!

i have a 17k c5 with allen head poles and the bottom is plenty tight, thats the only experience i have with a custom with different poles

Comment

I have done the same on a C5 and a Demon in the neck , it makes the bass more tight and add harmonics .

Comment

Where to buy these? Home depot?
        My bands links:

PEDL
        www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
        www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
        www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
          Good question. I want to try it too. Are there specific dimensons that we must use? I have a DiMarzio with allens can I use them?
          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

You might have to drill the holes a little wider, too, depending on the thred. Are we talking about Set Screws or Fillister type? Set screws you'd have to drill the whole way through the bobbin and make sure it's wide enough to thread itself in there with out cracking the plastic, or worse, the coil itself!

Jeremy, I'd assume that thing was wound with 44 AWG and not 43? Why wouldn't it be considered a JB?!?!?!

BTW, you can find the screws you need (dimension wise, I don't know about the thread) at almost any hardware store.
            Last edited by korinastratkyle; 10-11-2004, 05:42 PM.
            ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

All replys was very helpfull. I'll see if it can be done without drilling or else I probably won't try it. Thanks.
              Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
                i have a 17k c5 with allen head poles and the bottom is plenty tight, thats the only experience i have with a custom with different poles
                Would that be similar to a JB with allen pole pieces?
                My Gear:
                Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
                Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
                Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
                TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
                  Save yourself some time Home Depot never carries stuff like this. I wasted hours looking for hard to find part there before, never again. ACE Hardware has stuff like this, but I prefer getting this stuff online as you get a huge discount as opposed to paying $.60 per screw like at ACE Hardware.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and type 91251A130 in the search box. That's exactly the size you need for the 6 adjustable poles. The size is 5-40 threads, 5/8" black oxide socket hex cap screws. Shorter lengths will accentuate the high end more.

I took this a step further and removed the slugs and in its place used 10-32 thread set screws 1/2" in length. They are a little loose, but I will try dipping them in wax so they fit a bit tighter, which will be perfect.
                  Last edited by Fusion1; 10-12-2004, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Hey be carefull with the high end with the Custom , i tried it and found it a bit shrill on highs .
                    Instead of the little black allen screws used by Duncan i prefer the long allen screws of Dimarzio , i compared it .

Comment

I tried it, as a first step, with my DiMarzios that the screws are of the same dimensions. I changed the screw pole pieces of the Air Norton and the Air Zone for the allens from the Steve's Special and put there the screws from the Airs. The Air Norton got little more highs and a better snarl, not too strong but better and sharper. The SS got less fuzzy. It is yet sharp but not that much, the sound now is more metallic without much...i'd say..."parasites", if you know what I mean. I liked the way the pickups sound and the guitar now is more balanced. I'll keep it that way for now.

From this experience the only negative point that comes out is that maybe the Custom will be fuzzy or shrill with allens and I don't want this.
                      Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Working...
                      X