• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirtyking
    replied
    Re: SG Special needs a little push!

Originally posted by Flipflopsg
    Maybe you've been there I don't know...check out www.everythingsg.com

Cool site, got some great pics and discussions and even a for sale section.
    Thanks for that site bro. Claptons Cream era SG is bad @ss.

Leave a comment:

• Mac-P
    replied

Yo man, I have been there.....and then some.

With the DSL you probably don't need a distortion pickup. But that is up to your taste.

The bridge of many SG's is bright. On many models the bridge pickup is actually closer to the bridge than on, let's say, a Les Paul (check it out - you'll see what I mean). That is just asking for that hard, shrill biting qualiuty that is hard to dial out. The neck pickup usually sounds full, bassy, etc. So the "phenomenon" is usually the bridge only. A warm, semi powerful pickup that has some treble rolled off is what I like to compensate.

I have tried the stock Gibsons, Duncan C5, Custom, JB, DiMarzio Air Zone and Breed bridge.

I did not like the Custom or C5 because they were too bright. The C5 doesn't have a lot of mids, so it didn't "fill up" the sound and all I'd hear in the band was the upper end whcih to my ears sounded thin.

The Custom was better, but the ceramic magnet is a bit harsh in a slot that is already plagued by harshness.

Many players site the all mahogany body as a reason that "warm" pickups will be too much. Not in an SG as far as I'm concerned. Remember, the SG's body is much thinner than that of Les Paul. It is not the same equation.

Having said all that, I currently have a JB/'59n in #1 SG, and a DiMarzio Breed/PGn in #2 SG (the one in my avatar).

That has been my set up for over a year and it has worked very well.

Right now I am in a bit of a transitional phase, and I want a bit less treble from the JB, and a bit MORE treble from the '59n.

Just ordered a Jazz neck that is going in tomorrow, and am curious about the CC and Rio BBQ to replace the JB.

But, to address your issue, these pickups (to my ears) have worked very well in an SG's bridge slot to warm it up and take away the shrillness:

JB, Air Zone, Breed bridge.

All are very similar in that they are voiced in the mids (and get they articulation from the upper midrange as opposed to the treble).

The JB is the brightest of the three (but still not as bright as the Custom of C5). Great, classic sounding pickup.

Air Zone is the cleanest and most open. A little less "push" than the JB with more bass and less treble.

Breed is the warmest and punchiest. Like the Air Zone but with a bit more "push" in the mids. Also has more bass & less treble than the JB.

Keep in mind, they are all VERY similar. These differences are not all that dramatic.

These are what have been the answer for me. Still haven't tried the CC or BBQ which are both supposedly a logical option as well.

Also, you can replace the bridge pickup's volume and tone pots with 250k pots and that will roll off some of that treble.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Flipflopsg
    replied

Maybe you've been there I don't know...check out www.everythingsg.com

Cool site, got some great pics and discussions and even a for sale section.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

its all good. i wanna try and find an old one thats beat up, 61-65 or so. its gonna take me a while to save up

Leave a comment:

• Flipflopsg
    replied

Thanks for the tips and opinions, it was nice to hear from fellow SG'er's. I will definately look into those pickups and get back to you when I've decided.

Sorry about your loss Jeremy.

Scott

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

i recently sold my sg (a very sad thing). i used to have a 59n/custom combo in there and it sounded good. then i switched to a pgn/c5 and it was perfect. that sg into my marshall was one of my best tones. thick, full, big bottom, great clarity, killer sustain. the custom does have a tighter bottom and more mids but i think the c5 works better with the sg

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

C5 and a 59.

A good friend of mine had that combo in his SG Special and the guitar just sounded incredible.

Leave a comment:

• Davey
    replied

hmm well.. all mahagony axe.. the invader will sound very muddy in that.. i think i'd put in a JB cos the mahagony will soften the heights a bit.. or a custom. that'll give you some nice palm muting punch and have a clear 'voice'. i dont know about the distortion.. i wouldnt put in the custom5 or CC cos that will sound a bit too bassy

soo.. JB or a custom

Leave a comment:

• Marcel
    replied

Welcome to the forum!

Much people recommend a Duncan Custom for a SG.

I play a JB in a RG. JB is more on the bright side. It has an upper mid spike which make him seem that bright. It hasn't that much bass, but this is what gives me a good lowend punch with my amp. Too much bass just overpover my amp and the result is mud...

Leave a comment:

• Dirtyking
    replied

I had the same problem with both of my SG's. Not enough bottom or harmonics. I tried a Distortion(awesome pickup,but too compressed sounding to me) then a Demon that hit it on the spot. I think going to an alnico 5 pup gave the tightness and clarity I needed. Plus bottom end and really awesome crunch. The cleans are real full and brite, but not harsh.

I think going to any alnico 5 pup would be a good start. Your amp has plenty of output so I'd say start there before you jump to a ceramic pup.

Leave a comment:

• Flipflopsg
    started a topic SG Special needs a little push!

SG Special needs a little push!

I have an all mahogany with rosewood fingerboard '03 Gibson SG Special with 490's in it. I'm running straight into a Marshall DSL 100, no effects other than a Boss tuner. I play mainly hard rock/metal, my tone is rarely ever clean. I love the clarity I get with the 490's but I get this overly bright high end that washes out the bottom end when chording. Single notes in the higher registers actually hurt. I'm considering putting in an Invader or Distortion in the bridge to get the extra push I want as well as the low end chunk for palm muting and low end in general. A buddy of mine suggested a JB in the bridge. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Working...
X