two different tele antiquity models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two different tele antiquity models?

I just noticed this today by looking at the gtrheaven.com site. It has an antiquity tele pup listed under the ANTIQUITY section and a 'twang telecaster' model under the ANTIQUITY II section... are these two different models? I ask also because at the top of each page it says how the Ant I pups are modeled after 50's pups and the ANT II are modeled after the 60's... anyone have any thoughts?

links:

Re: two different tele antiquity models?

From SD's Products page:
    Antiquities

the Ants are alnico 2 magnets, and patterned after early 50s pickups; the Ant II are alnico 5 magnets, and patterned after 60s pickups
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

there are actually three, seymour also makes a staggared version of the 50's or antiquity I model with alnico 2 mags and then an antiquity II series pickup also staggared but with alnico 5 mags.

I personally have the flat poled antiquity I tele set and they are amazing, just like an old broadcaster or very early (think 51, 52, 53) telecaster. It is the best tele bridge pickup i have ever heard and i keep trying to find a better one with no luck.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
        there are actually three, seymour also makes a staggared version of the 50's or antiquity I model with alnico 2 mags
        true ... the '55
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

never tried it, but since i know the sound of some of the other antiquity pickups i will guess that it is one of the best staggared tele pickups out there
          Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
            there are actually three, seymour also makes a staggared version of the 50's or antiquity I model with alnico 2 mags and then an antiquity II series pickup also staggared but with alnico 5 mags.

I personally have the flat poled antiquity I tele set and they are amazing, just like an old broadcaster or very early (think 51, 52, 53) telecaster. It is the best tele bridge pickup i have ever heard and i keep trying to find a better one with no luck.
            let me ask you something... I noticed that SD actually wax-pot the antiquity II tele pup and not the ant I... seeing as how you have the ant I, do you find that it squeals or becomes microphonic very easily at loud volumes or with lots of gain? I don't understand why they would wax the II version and not the I.

Comment

well, here's what it says about the Ant lead pickup:
              " Like the originals, the ferrous bottom plates are not wax-potted for that "breakin'-up Tele twang tone" that's just on the verge of feedback"

and about the Ant IIs:
              "I keep the tone and look faithful, but I also wax pot them to reduce unwanted feedback when using high powered amps and effects."

I'm guessing that the combination of alnico 5 magnets and the other specs make potting a good idea
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

i think curly is right, but i also use a soldano with my teles and i can get feedback and squeal from my heavily wax potted texas specials long before the antiquity will squeal. same for all of the antiquity I series pickups i have. they are just too good to be true.

It seems you are looking for a great tele pickup, and i just have a couple things to say about them. from personal experience, you need to find out how much twang you want from your tele, because if you want, more of that country twang then you should go with the antiquity II series or if you have a very bright tele, try the 1955 antiquity I tele pickup. If you want the one that does it all, try the antiquity I tele. I haven't found anything this pickup can't do, but some people would want some more twang. Me, i think it is so harmonically rich that it can do anything well. It has a deep complex voice and the mojo. lets just say it really was wound by a tone god and it plays like it. Any of the three pickups will make you want to play your tele more and thats what it is all about right? playing and sounding good while you play
                Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I've never thought about my Ants not being wax potted ... just hasn't been an issue

the only other thing I'll add to what mrfjones said is that the Ant set is also very well balanced across the different positions
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

ah yes i forgot about that, it is one of the few sets where the neck pickup has a higher dc resistance than the neck but it makes that perfect combined rythym tone
                    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I'm planning on putting an antiquity mini-hum in the neck and one of the antiquity tele pups in the bridge. I can't seem to decide on which one I should go for, since I like characteristics of both pickups. I wish SD made sound samples of these... the thing I'm worried about is getting the ant I and not have it be bright and twangy enough for me, yet vice versa can be the issue with the ant II being too bright and ice-picky. Either way, like you guys said I'll end up with a great sounding pickup, I think I'm being too anal here...!

ps: thanks for all the replies...!

Comment

well if i am not mistaken the antiquity mini humbuckers have alnico 5 magnets in them that are "dunaged" just like the antiquity II series teles. the aging will knock some highs off the alnico 5 sound. so you shouldn't have a problem with it being ice picky at all. you can always call MJ in the custom shop, she can tell you anything you want to know.

PS try the antiquity II tele pickup and if it is not to you liking then exchange it within 21 days for the antiquity I tele bridge.
                        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Working...
                        X