Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: emg recommendations....

Originally posted by korinastratkyle
    I sure hope you're a better guitarist than I was at your age, or your parents are spoiling you! LOL
    what does that mean

well im gonna be buying the mark 4
    and me and m,y friend are gonna do somehting to get the RG, and i'll be buying the emg's too

Comment

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
      i reckon you kick ass for answering so quickly

the 89 sounds like a cool idea, being able to splti them and all

maybe, but chances are this would be my metal/shred axe so probably not. i got enough versatile guitars(les paul, san dimas charvel) so now i can use this one for the all out metal attack on little children!!!!
      If it's an all out metal axe, I'd go 81 in the bridge. It stays well defined and percussive even under high gain.

If you want more versitility at lower gain settings, go 85 or 89.

Keep in mind that Mesa is going to be a darker amp. If you get the chance, you should play test an 81 and 85 into one down at the store (if it's possible).
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by fenderiarhs
        i would go for a 85 bridge(much warmer and balanced than the 81) and a 89 neck so that i also got the possibility to split it and get a nice single coil clean neck pickup tone.
        +1
        the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
          If it's an all out metal axe, I'd go 81 in the bridge. It stays well defined and percussive even under high gain.
          Whew!! I thought for a second I was the only one here who still likes the 81
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If you want more versitility at lower gain settings, go 85 or 89.

Keep in mind that Mesa is going to be a darker amp. If you get the chance, you should play test an 81 and 85 into one down at the store (if it's possible).
            i didn't really think the mark 4 was a dark amp

anyways, i tried my friends warlock on the mark 4 with the zakk wylde set. it sounded great, neck pickup was nic and smooth and the 81 was nice and metallica..ish

if i end up not liking the 85 i'll just take back the 81 im gonna give him

Comment

I'd go for 85's too. The 81's are all clicky in the top and and sink and fizzle with distortion. 85's just sing and sustain and have wonderful tone.

What about an EMG60 in the neck? Some people like those as well.

Comment

i know that i want an 85 for neck

The 85 is overrated as a neck pup, and underrated in the bridge. IMO its a much better bridge pickup. It's as hot as the 81 (doesn't seem like it since it's not as abrasive), thicker, has a mid-spike, and creamier, looser highs. Very nice bridge pickup. IMO it sucks in the neck because of the same reasons, its too hot and fat for the neck spot, I'd say a 60 is much better in the neck.

Comment

well i've tried the 85 in neck and i liked it alot

i know about the 60 but i dont really care about versatility i just want it to be the all out shred guitar. the 81 is alright but i really like the smoothness of the 85 whihc is why i chose to try out both.
                  i know the 60 is great for cleans, but this is a metal axe man!!

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                    The 85 is overrated as a neck pup, and underrated in the bridge. IMO its a much better bridge pickup. It's as hot as the 81 (doesn't seem like it since it's not as abrasive), thicker, has a mid-spike, and creamier, looser highs. Very nice bridge pickup. IMO it sucks in the neck because of the same reasons, its too hot and fat for the neck spot, I'd say a 60 is much better in the neck.
                    The only thing I like about the 85 in the neck is it's high gain lead tone.

For mid gain and cleans, it sucks ass in the neck (in my opinion). Way too fat, and way too much bass.

After more than a month of trying I did finally get a good clean tone out of it using a Boss GE-7 though, now it sounds similar to a 60, but it involoved dumping -13db to -15db on the lowest three bands with a +3db push in the upper midrange. I was going to replace it with a 60a, but now I might keep it as I really like it's lead tone.
                    Last edited by some_dude; 10-13-2004, 08:21 PM.

Comment

i didn't really think the mark 4 was a dark amp
                      As compared to a Fender....

anyways, i tried my friends warlock on the mark 4 with the zakk wylde set. it sounded great, neck pickup was nic and smooth and the 81 was nice and metallica..ish
                      I don't shred, but I'd say the 85 is a great shred pickup. Very fast, good smear, near effortless hammerons and pulloffs, and the harmonics just scream out that thing.

if i end up not liking the 85 i'll just take back the 81 im gonna give him
                      As always, try both. The great thing about EMGs is the quick disconnect, and if that Ibanez has a Floyd Rose, all you need to do is divebomb the bridge to get the pickup out.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                        Whew!! I thought for a second I was the only one here who still likes the 81
                        You'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Comment

As compared to a Fender....

I don't shred, but I'd say the 85 is a great shred pickup. Very fast, good smear, near effortless hammerons and pulloffs, and the harmonics just scream out that thing.

As always, try both. The great thing about EMGs is the quick disconnect, and if that Ibanez has a Floyd Rose, all you need to do is divebomb the bridge to get the pickup out.
                          oh, yeah about the fender. those dam twins get me all the time

the 85 screams, yes it does!!!! it'll be insane on the guitar i put it in too!! my friend's got 11's so sometimes it isn't as easy as mine with 9's.

i never though of that idea! sounds good to me, this is why floyd rose trems kickass!!!

Comment

Hi. I haven't been here in awhile, so I had to reregister again for some reason.
                            Anyway, I'm also a big fan of the 85 in the bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck. It just balances the sound out and works better, IMO. I've got a Jackson Dinky with 85/60, a Les Paul Studio (all mahogany, including top) that's got a ZW set that I put the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck, and a Hamer Special FM with 25th anniversary chrome 81 set (I'll most likely put an 85 in the bridge on that one eventually). The 81 is a great bridge pup, too, but I feel it's a little bright and that the 85 works better in that position.

Comment

Working...
                            X