banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would the Rio Grande BBQ sound in a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would the Rio Grande BBQ sound in a Strat?

I was wondering how this pickup would sound in the bridge of my Highway 1 Strat with maple neck. I`ve got the JB in there now which I like but I`m always searching for something more. I`d be playing it with light gain to near high gain. I`ve heard the BBQ has big bass and heavy mids and is light on treble and that sounds right up my alley but my only concern is a lot of people put the BBQ in a Les Paul not a Strat.
    When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Re: How would the Rio Grande BBQ sound in a Strat?

Be aware that the Rio Grande BBQ is NOT "F spaced" for Strats.

The Rio Tallboy or Muy Grande humbuckers are meant specifically for a Strat bridge pup replacement ... and when the coils are split you'll get true single coil tone.
    www.FretTech.com

Comment

Originally posted by 51501984
      I was wondering how this pickup would sound in the bridge of my Highway 1 Strat with maple neck. I`ve got the JB in there now which I like but I`m always searching for something more. I`d be playing it with light gain to near high gain. I`ve heard the BBQ has big bass and heavy mids and is light on treble and that sounds right up my alley but my only concern is a lot of people put the BBQ in a Les Paul not a Strat.
      You cannot go wrong with either the BBQ or the Muy Grande Humbucker. As was stated before you will get a true start single coil when you split it which would be a plus as you will still get the strat sound, Robin puts the Muy Grande in all their superstrats so you know it can do the heavy stuff. The BBQ is a bit lower in the output dept. but handles gain well, it will lose some definition at higher gain settings though.

Comment

I think it would work pretty well. It's a great choice for brighter sounding guitars when you want a warmer tone without resorting to A2 magnet pickups. It's not F-spaced, but it should be pretty close. The JB I had in my Hamer didn't quite line up with the strings. I replaced it with a BBQ, and it lines up almost perfectly. This leads me to believe that the BBQ is spaced a little wider than standard spaced Duncans. I don't think that's a big deal anyway, the stock pickups on my Wolfgang were standard spaced and it never made one bit of difference.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp
          You cannot go wrong with either the BBQ or the Muy Grande Humbucker. As was stated before you will get a true start single coil when you split it which would be a plus as you will still get the strat sound, Robin puts the Muy Grande in all their superstrats so you know it can do the heavy stuff. The BBQ is a bit lower in the output dept. but handles gain well, it will lose some definition at higher gain settings though.
          I noticed McNaught and Robin quitars come stock with Rios and I believe many of his guitars have the BBQ/texas set. Dynamite set! I didn't realize the MG is higher output than the BBQ. I wouldn't want higher than the BBQ as it has plenty.

Comment

Working...
          X