Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series/Parallel for Two Single Coils

Hello everyone.

I recently installed a 4-way switch in my Tele so that I could have the neck and bridge pickups wired in series, and well, I liked it...a lot (great for jazz runs).

I now want to have this option for my Fender Jaguar. I want to convert that third "tone switch" in the Jaguar's lead circuit into a 'series/parallel' switch. It's a DPDT On-On slide switch, but I've been unable to develop a schematic that naturally integrates the 'series/parallel' option into the lead circuit, which uses individual on-off switches for the pickups.

Might someone out there in Seymourland be able to help me produce such a schematic?

I 'preciate it.

Re: Series/Parallel for Two Single Coils

Hi Insane; Welcome to the forum.

I think this will be pretty simple, but I want to examine a Jaguar wiring diagram first, just to be sure.

I'll try to get back to you in a little while, or worst case, tomorrow.

Artie

Edit: Look at this schematic, and tell me if it matches what you have now.

Jaguar Wiring
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 10-13-2004, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo

Edit: Look at this schematic, and tell me if it matches what you have now.

Jaguar Wiring
      Yep; that's what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Insane
        Yep; that's what I have.
        Yow . . . what a wiring nightmare.

Still, shouldn't be too difficult. I'll either post a diagram later on tonight, or this same time tomorrow.

Comment

Just to be sure . . . you want to convert the switch in the red circle, right?

Comment

Boy, that Jaguar is some strange wiring. I suppose Fender had a reason for doing it that way.
            (btw - Strangest wiring of a tone control I've ever seen!)

When the slide switch is in one position, you have fig. 1.
            When its in the other position, you have fig. 2.

If you convert the switch, (above, in red circle), to "series" function,
            you'll lose the functionality thats in fig. 2.
            (Plus, those two thumbwheels will not function.)

Is that what you want?

Comment

Just to be sure . . . you want to convert the switch in the red circle, right?

Actually, I wanted to convert the switch just opposite that one-- the one with the cap.

Comment

BTW, I really do appreciate your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Citizen Insane
                  Actually, I wanted to convert the switch just opposite that one-- the one with the cap.
                  Ok . . . but that appears to be a SPST switch. It'll be almost impossible to perform this function with that switch. Would you consider replacing either the volume or tone control with a push/pull pot?

I'm still not positive that that could be done, but let me think on it a bit.

I'll work on it tomorrow, and see what I can come up with.

Artie

And, you're welcome - I love doing this kind of thing.

Comment

The switches are poorly represented in the picture, and only the "participating" lugs are depicted. I know it doesn't look like it, but all four switches are exactly the same-- On-On DPDT slide switches. Thanks again.

Comment

Artie, you are amazing to tear into the circuit on that thing. My brother had one years ago; I took a look and decided not to go near it. Should this idea you are pursuing not work out, (and only in that case), there is another posible modification, simpler to do, that would give a similar sound. This would work if the pickups are the same, or nearly the same, but not if they are very different. I cannot remember, but I will assume they are close enough. When you series two pups, you create an impedance that is twice as high as a single pup. The volume and tone resistances and the cable capacitance haver a larger loading effect. If you parallel the two, the impedance halves, and the load has less effect. Therefore, if you add some additional loading to the parallel combination, it will have a similar effect on the frequency response. Of course you do not get the higher voltage you would get with the series connection, but I think that would not matter in this case. One can try this outside the guitar to get the best values. Someting like 1/3 the resistance and three times the cable capacitance would be a good place to start. Does this make any sense, or am I missing the real purpose?

Comment

Ok . . . I doodled up something while you and sanrafael posted, so let me just throw this out, and then I'll go from there.

This pic shows, fundamentally, what we want to accomplish:

Basically, with the DPDT switch "down", the bridge output goes to the selector switches, and the neck pup's ground goes to ground.

When the DPDT is switched "up" The bridge's output and the necks ground connect together, while simultaneously disconnecting from their previous position.

This, of course, requires that the output selector be switched to the "neck" position to work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I'll look over what you and sanrafael said, and add it to the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by sanrafael
                          Artie, you are amazing to tear into the circuit on that thing. My brother had one years ago; I took a look and decided not to go near it.
                          When I first looked at the schematic, my first inclination, was to pretend I didn't see this thread.

btw - what in the world do you suppose the purpose of that .03uf cap, thats bypassed by the switch is for? It seems to me like switching it in, would kill all the low end of the guitar. I can't imagine how that would sound.

Comment

When I first looked at the schematic, my first inclination, was to pretend I didn't see this thread.

btw - what in the world do you suppose the purpose of that .03uf cap, thats bypassed by the switch is for? It seems to me like switching it in, would kill all the low end of the guitar. I can't imagine how that would sound.
                            That's exactly what it does. The tone resembles the thin, hollow sound of a parallel, out-of-phase configuration, and it thins out the sound a little too much, imo.

Comment

This, of course, requires that the output selector be switched to the "neck" position to work.
                              By "output selector," do you mean the switch on the left upper bout?

Comment

Working...
                              X