banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some cut/sustain/thickness from a bridge single coil (hot rails, srs-1?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some cut/sustain/thickness from a bridge single coil (hot rails, srs-1?)

I am the proud owner of a vintage G&L Skyhawk. It has a mahogany body and maple neck (much like the highly desireable S500 line).

I'm looking for a bridge single coil, that well... isn't a single coil. Not sure what I'm looking for exactly, just that thickness, warmth, cut, articulation is all on the list. I'm looking for a pickup that plays well with others. I'd like to take my neck Wagner SR and blend it towards the bridge and get some warm, thick, jazzy tones. It worked on my Grosh when I had the Darkburst bridge humbucker, but now I'm in single coil territory.

Some of the pickups I've been cycling through include the SK S-90, Dimarzio SDS-1, and Seymour Duncan Hot Rails. Right now I'm leaning towards the SDS-1. I've heard great things about the Super Distortion humbucker and from what I've gathered, the single coil makes a strat sound very similar. Can anyone confirm this?

The Hot Rails looks decent, but I've heard more about it being in the neck position than bridge. I'll be playing modern gain rock, not hardcore or metal, so I'm not sure if this would suit me properly.

I love strat cleans. I love strats mixed with light overdrive. Love the quack and the shimmer. However, I am looking for a bridge single coil that I can use to crank out STP, Foo Fighters, Goo Goo Dolls, Pearl Jam etc.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Looking for some cut/sustain/thickness from a bridge single coil (hot rails, srs-1?)

I'm a big fan of the Lace 6k Hot Gold Sensor model. I used to have a sound sample around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Re: Looking for some cut/sustain/thickness from a bridge single coil (hot rails, srs-1?)

I wouldn't know what to advise you but since your guitar is made out of mahogany, the Hot Rails might be a tad muddy. Apparently the bridge model is good at rhythm stuff, and the neck model is like, a legato king

Give the HR a try and if you don't like it you can always return it (the 30 day return policy remember).

Bee
      Originally posted by Kanye West
      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

The Lace's aren't too bad, heard a clip of them. Thanks for the reply rspst14

I was wondering the same thing Rainmaker, the Hot Rails might be too much for the warmer tone of mahogany. Thanks!

Anyone here have any experience with the Dimarzio SDS-1 or the SK S-90? I may just have to take a chance, purchase one, and see how it goes.
        Last edited by That90'sGuy; 10-14-2004, 07:37 PM.
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
        X